Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Busy Morning on the KP!

Date: 10/22/16 17:35
A Busy Morning on the KP!
Author: mg8711

It's quite a rare feat for yours truly these days to shoot anything more than two trains or so on the KP in a given day. My record even back when it was a lot busier is 5. Today was the oddball weird day where between Topeka and Salina it seemed like trains were all over the place. Lance "santafe199" will be able to fill you in on the amount of trains that were out and about this morning in the coming days I'm sure, but I'll settle for telling you about and showing you the three trains I managed this morning and early afternoon.

I started off the morning by fueling up and heading east, but just out of Manhattan one of the trains '199 informed me about was already in my grasp heading west, I anticipated at least some side light west of town so that's where I went.

1) A rather fresh Tier 4 GEVO, UP 2673 leads a CMSWE west at 56th Avenue between Manhattan and Ogden.
2) Planeorders dot com content, a Southwest Airlines flight departs Manhattan Regional Airport, out of frame below is...
3) UP 8864 as DPU.

Date: 10/22/16 17:36
Re: A Busy Morning on the KP!

After shooting the coal empty out by MHK, I headed west to Chapman and hoped for a shot looking up Marshall (main) street, but it wasn't long before I realized there was probably an eastbound coming, so I went west and ran into it short of Abilene.

4)I raced the eastbound back to Chapman, here UP 8400 leads a CWEDR into town, with its train on a slow order that has been in effect since a tornado west of town back in May.
5) There was another possible eastbound coming, but it went south out of Abilene on the BNSF, as a result I wouldn't get ahead of the coal load again until east of Manhattan, here UP 8400 approaches Swamp Angel Road.
6) Now west of St. Marys the 8400 approaches Pleasant View Road. It looks like fall color is going to be difficult to get here in Eastern Kansas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/16 17:46 by mg8711.

Date: 10/22/16 17:36

I was well prepared to keep chasing the loaded coal train east to Topeka, but a westbound in the siding at St. Marys, plus being quite tired from going out last night made me decide to sacrifice the well lit train for a side lit train, I digress...

7) UP 5448 has an empty grain train in tow at a private crossing east of Belvue.
8) I barely got ahead of the train east of Wamego, the corn fields out here in the Kansas River Valley are almost all harvested, such as the one here.
9) West of Manhattan, I along with '199 shot the train one last time at Moehlman Road.

Thanks for viewing!
October 22nd, 2016
mg8711

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/16 17:52 by mg8711.

Date: 10/22/16 18:23
Author: santafe199

mg8711 Wrote: > ... "santafe199" will be able to fill you in on the amount of trains...
If my count is correct, there were 7 trains between Kansas City & Salina at one point in time.

Date: 10/22/16 19:00
Author: SCKP187

Out Standing in your field
Nice stuff Lucas.  Really neat to see a 2600 on the KP, and what a bonus day to have that many trains available. Many great shots here.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds