Home Open Account Help 139 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Above Alaska October 22, 2016

Date: 10/24/16 23:09
Above Alaska October 22, 2016
Author: DRGW3002

On Saturday October 22 the ARR ran two round trip special Halloween Trains for kids and families.  Here are two view of the 3 PM train.  The first shows the trim little train with an SD70MAC on each end passing through the Oceanview neighborhood in South Anchorage through a uniquely Alaskan scene.  A neighborhood airstrip abuts the tracks and the hownowners park their planes and can take off right from their own backyards.  In the second image the train has reached its turnaround point a bit more than 30 miles from where it began down at Indian along the shore of Turnagain Arm.  As you can see in these photos, winter has arrived here in the 49th State.

Thanks for looking.

Date: 10/25/16 02:09
Re: Above Alaska October 22, 2016
Author: DFWJIM

Awesome shots. I visited Alaska back in May and enjoyed every minute of my trip!

Date: 10/25/16 11:40
Author: bjackson30303

The mud flats in No. 2: The tidal range there is huge and fast and people, more than a few, have gotten stuck in that sucky mud with the tide coming in too fast to extricate them in time.  Just an fyi for any adventurous train watchers -- that would not be the place to try and set up.

Date: 10/25/16 19:18
Author: weather

stunning shots David, many thanks!

Date: 10/25/16 23:35
Author: Fizzboy7

Superb shots!   My visit to Alaska last year was the most memorable trip I've ever taken anywhere, period.   About the only thing that didn't live up to expectations were the bodies of water.  Not that that is a complaint, they too had their own unique beauty- mud, sitl, and all.
Fairbanks also had the landing strips behind the homes- and in the rivers too!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds