Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Best time to view trains in Ritzville, WA?

Date: 11/11/16 18:47
Best time to view trains in Ritzville, WA?
Author: Woodman

I will be in Spokane the last two weeks in Dec., and want to go to Ritzville to view trains and take my great grand son with me. Can anyone tell me the best times to see the most trains and what day would be best?  Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Date: 11/11/16 19:24
Re: Best time to view trains in Ritzville, WA?
Author: Ritzville

The weekend days are usually the busiest, no work windows. Unfortunately, lots of trains run all night long. During the week at times there are lulls in daylight hours due to MoW work. Always seems busy betwen 700am to 900am and in the mid-afternoon. If you are visiting during the day try to make it a weekend day. In a 24hr period there is usually 35 to 45 trains. If you're spending the night and want stay trackside there is the Empire Motel on 1st St. with reasonable rates and clean. Hope that helps.

Larry

Date: 11/12/16 09:52
Author: bbethmann

Agree with Larry that weekends are best especially Saturdays. However, if you are going to be in Spokane, Sunset Junction is a wonderful location for safe watching and photography. Everything that funnels through Larryland also runs through Sunset Junction, PLUS the UP from Eastport, ID. off the former SI, PLUS BNSF trains routed over the Cascade line to/from Seattle. There is a shuttered restaurant at the Junction where it is safe to park. The UP
and Cascade line trains do not go through Larryland (Ritzville).

Hotel-wise the Davenport has a ringside seat for
observing this same action in downtown Spokane. If too rich for your budget there are several hotels in the vicinity that have peekaboo views of the tracks.

And don't miss the new rail museum in nearby Reardon.

Have fun.

Bill
Spokane WA

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/12/16 19:28
Author: Woodman

Hey pardner, where is Reardon? and The other places you mentioned?  I don't live there and never have, so I need help.  Please inform me. Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0322 seconds