Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Final 2016 Midwest trip report

Date: 11/30/16 22:18
Final 2016 Midwest trip report
Author: oyw

For those who have been following for the past several weeks, Monday October 24 would be the last of a 10 day, 3,500 mile journey to parts of 10 states with myself and fellow TO members JWS and SP8595. I thought we did well and, despite a few disappointments, a great time was had. This day would consist of driving from West Plains, MO to the Kansas City airport. Historically, the last days of our trips usually end with bad weather and or no trains, but today was good.

1) Leaving before sunrise, a view of the West Plains Motel where we spent the night. This turned out to be a nice clean place with reasonable rates, located on BNSF’s Thayer North Subdivision.

2) Due to lack of trains, we made great time along this scenic line until almost Springfield. At Rogersville, MO we finally got a train. Unfortunately, it was a BNSF coal load with generic GE 5820 in the lead.

3) Following the coal train was a BNSF local of some sort with a pair of SD40-2’s, 1946 and 1775, much nicer.

Date: 11/30/16 22:19
Re: Final 2016 Midwest trip report

4) From Springfield we followed BNSF Cherokee Sub west, stopping in Aurora, MO where the M&NA crosses. All we found parked here was ex-UP SD40M-2 2765, the M&NA seems to have nothing but ex-UP power these days?

5) Continuing a few miles west to Monett, where the Arkansas and Missouri interchanges with the BNSF, John spotted the A&M arriving into the yard just after 12 noon. Lucky for us they immediately cut off of the train and parked the power (the 3 SD70Ace’s) in front of their small yard office.

6) A roster shot of A&M 72. No action shots this time due to time constraints but this was better than nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/16 22:21 by oyw.

Date: 11/30/16 22:19

7) Also working the Monett yard was a set of orange BNSF Dash 8-40BW’s and a blue and yellow GP50.

8) A roster of tattered lead unit 507 and it was time to go.

9) Following the M&NA up to KC along I-49, we stopped at Nevada after hearing the Nevada switcher leaving west on the former MKT, Nevada Sub. Never giving it a thought that the engine would be butt-end leading, we waited unsuspectingly at a crossing outside of town. It turned out to be M&NA 2762 (another ex-UP SD40M-2 with the lettering painted out) and a long string of covered hoppers, probably heading for interchange with the KCS at Eve, MO.

That would be our last train of the trip. We cut it close getting up to the airport but made our flights with no problems. Sorry to take so long in reporting but I have been busy with other things. Thanks to everyone for looking and commenting throughout the past weeks, I hope we can do it again next year.

OYW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/16 22:23 by oyw.

Date: 11/30/16 23:16
Author: GRNDMND

Thanks for your posts Bob! Looks like you guys had a great time in fly-over land again. You know EEE's E-units were especially nice. 

KC - that's a lot of E's

Date: 12/01/16 05:48
Author: dpc37

oyw Wrote:

> 9) Following the M&NA up to KC along I-49, we
> stopped at Nevada after hearing the Nevada
> switcher leaving west on the former MKT, Nevada
> Sub. Never giving it a thought that the engine
> would be butt-end leading, we waited
> unsuspectingly at a crossing outside of town. It
> turned out to be M&NA 2762 (another ex-UP SD40M-2
> with the lettering painted out) and a long string
> of covered hoppers, probably heading for
> interchange with the KCS at Eve, MO.

> OYW

MNA and KCS don't interchange at Eve Mo. there is no connection track the
 hoppers were most likley headed to the ADM plant that is just west of Eve Mo.

Date: 12/01/16 06:11
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice pictures of the A&M locomotives.
John

Date: 12/01/16 07:32
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice end to a pretty good time with friends.
JB

Date: 12/01/16 16:59
Author: TheNavigator

Nice travelogue from a productive and interesting trip; glad you and JWS and SP8595 were able to shoot such a variety, and as GRNDMND said, especially the Es.
GK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds