Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Great sun but no train, then a train but no sun!

Date: 12/05/16 19:10
Great sun but no train, then a train but no sun!
Author: 2ebright

Daylight is sure in short supply these days. About 8 hours is all we get here in Utah, and less if mountains delay the appearance of sunlight or hasten its end. Nonetheless I bravely ventured out predawn from my home in northeastern Utah hoping that the weather forecast was correct and I would find some sun. I got to Helper, Utah just in time to see the Book Cliffs, that form a wall to the north and west of town, lit by the first rays of the day. (Image #1) The scenery was great but where were the trains? That lonely set of helper power was all I could find; not even the Dirt Train power was in evidence. So, I waited around and waited around to no avail. I asked a signal maintenance guy if he knew when the next train was due in Helper, but he did not know. Well, I was determined to find something and set off up Price River Canyon towards Soldier Summit. I went all the way west to Colton and then on a whim turned left on Hwy. 96 and headed south to see if by any chance there might be a coal train loading at Skyline. But wait; that beautiful sunlight at Helper had turned to dark cloudy skies and some light snow up here on the Wasatch Plateau about 2000 feet higher than Helper. Luck was with me today as indeed there was a coal train at Skyline. It had finished loading and was waiting for a track inspector to finish his run. More waiting, but it did allow me time to stake out a favorable spot at the edge of the town of Scofield, (Pop. 23). More waiting and finally, here it comes. (Image 2). Not too bad a shot considering the poor light. Then race ahead to Scofield Dam, where the tracks go right over the abutment and then drop down into a roadless canyon. I got it again, having a race with a coal truck, right beside the highway about ¼ mile before the dam. (Image 3). I went back to Colton and hung around Soldier Summit but nothing appeared, so with the light fading I took off for home.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 12/06/16 05:27
Re: Great sun but no train, then a train but no sun!
Author: atsf121

I like #1 Dick, bet it was a cold morning though.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/06/16 12:57
Author: GrandeGold

I count any time I catch a train on the Pleasant Valley Sub a day well spent.

Posted from iPhone

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 12/06/16 15:26
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pics 1 and 2!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds