Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tacoma Sounder Trestle Update 1/8/2017

Date: 01/08/17 23:05
Tacoma Sounder Trestle Update 1/8/2017
Author: DelMonteX

The days are drawing few, before the old is replaced with the new.  The old of course is the historic Milwaukee Road single track 'S' curve trestle in Tacoma, WA.   The new is Sound Transit's double track concrete viaduct or bridge, that is a key component to the By-pass - By-pass re-routing of all passenger trains through Tacoma (from Nisqually to Tacoma).

1) Construction is proceeding in other areas but the focus is the crossing of ‘G’ street at the west end.  The plan is during a 3-day work window sometime in early to mid-February, the old steel girder bridge (the one with the surviving Milwaukee Road logos), will be removed, and the new bridge assembled track re-aligned at either end and be ready for commuter service on Monday.  This may possibly involve Sounder Trains terminating at the current Amtrak station a couple of blocks away and bus service for those south of Tacoma.

2) Here are some of the components.  My estimations are two 35’ x 12’ sections (ends) and a center 65’ piece (3), that will be set on temporary supports, bolted together and along with additional steel components, comprise the new (and longer ) bridge over ‘G’ street. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 01/08/17 23:06
Re: Tacoma Sounder Trestle Update 1/8/2017

4) During the past week, a tent like structure has been constructed on the east end to allow for the installation of waterproofing material.  This will be done to the entire bridge, as the winter weather is causing delays.

5) Here’s the early Sounder making its way in to the station a few days ago.

6) A later Sounder crossing the trestle and soon to be riding the concrete.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 01/09/17 08:50
Author: Coalca

Thanks for sharing these infrastructure updates with us. 

Date: 01/09/17 09:19
Author: cutboy2

Did  you say double tracked? Hope so.

Date: 01/09/17 11:33
Author: TAW

cutboy2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did  you say double tracked? Hope so.

Yup. Two tracks between Portland Ave and D Street.

TAW

Date: 01/09/17 11:43
Author: gobbl3gook

"the old steel girder bridge (the one with the surviving Milwaukee Road logos)"

I found a photo of the logo on a Tacoma history page, reposted below.  

http://www.historylink.org/File/10998
http://www.historylink.org/Content/Media/Photos/Small/Tacoma_Milwaukee_Road_logo.jpg

It appears possible to remove the logos before demolition?  Do you know if they will be preserved? 

I also found this nifty photo of the trestle in better days. 

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/43674/title/super-helper-set/cat/500

Ted in OR

Date: 01/09/17 13:13

A replica of the logo will be installed on the new bridge, to comply with the minimal historical preservation requirements.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 01/09/17 23:43
Author: gobbl3gook

It's probably not too late to ask them to ask the demolition contractor to try to save those girder faces with the actual Milwaukee Road logo.  

A replica doesn't really mean anything.  The logos themselves are historic, and have a very nice weathered look...  

Ted in OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0637 seconds