Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A bit of sunshine on Sunday plus a couple of trains

Date: 01/09/17 21:25
A bit of sunshine on Sunday plus a couple of trains
Author: oyw

Yesterday was one of the few sunny days we’ve had here recently in Southern California. Staying near to home, at around 8AM I made a drive over to BNSF’s Kaiser Yard in Fontana where I found a set of six-axle power working the transload facility on Napa St. Three 7700 GE’s along with a north facing SD70ACe, they identified themselves on the radio as the 1st Kaiser job. The BNSF Ace’s have become somewhat common around here but they’re still more interesting than the orange GE’s that we’re used to.

1)  Speaking of orange GE’s, as I continued my look around, there was another set of big power tied down at the Metrolink platform with BNSF 7777 facing east.

Over in the yard, I could only find eight 4-axle units instead of the usual dozen or so, possibly some were in Barstow for servicing. At this point, my only hope was to wait around for the 1st Kaiser to pull east of the yard after they finished switching. Sometimes they do and other times they don’t pull down far enough for a shot.

2) Fortunately he did. The 1st Kaiser with BNSF 9041 pulls east past Beech Ave, looking like a “real” train on the old Santa Fe 2nd District.

3) Before backing into the yard, he pulled down far enough to allow one more shot through a hole in a fence near Citrus Ave.

Date: 01/09/17 21:27
Re: A bit of sunshine on Sunday plus a couple of trains
Author: oyw

4) As it backs into the yard, a broadside roster shot of the 9041 from the open field west of Beech. I wouldn’t be surprised if it led today’s eastbound Kaiser Hauler to Barstow.

5) Finishing up the day down in Ontario on the former SP after a call from a friend that a fairly new Tier-4 GE was coming west. UP 2723 speeds past the Amtrak platform just before the clouds came in at around 3PM.

Nothing heart-stopping here, but it was nice to get a couple of trains while the sun was shining. Including what we already had today, we should have a wet week ahead. No complaints, we need it.

OYW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/17 21:29 by oyw.

Date: 01/10/17 05:46
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

I like the last one!!

Date: 01/10/17 05:51
Author: Atsf814

Great pics Bob! Sunday was a beautiful day  Really like the broad side view. Thanks for sharing! 

Date: 01/10/17 06:14
Author: Cajon92

Nice shots, Bob.

Ryan

Date: 01/10/17 07:04
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos from one of the few crisp days we've had so far this January, Bob.

Rich

Date: 01/10/17 07:07
Author: CBRL

Nice shots! Amazing what some real sunlight can do.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds