Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF hit car Tehachapi

Date: 01/20/17 10:05
BNSF hit car Tehachapi
Author: cajon

BNSF 8224 hit something at the crossing at MP 365.125 again this morning. The leader was 8224 and 6641 on a empty trailer train. Will set the leader out at Sanborn which has damage to the front of the engine. Will run with 6641 which is facing backward to Barstow.
Dennis

Date: 01/20/17 10:11
Re: BNSF hit car Tehachapi
Author: daniel3197

internet reports that BOTH the FRC and Donner are closed.
If that is true soem Tehachapi Detour freight trains may happen via Las Vegas NV.---TLoop
 ---- Daniel

Date: 01/20/17 11:17

The BNSF 8224 hit a truck at the crossing not a car. PTC will not work with engine running backward. BNSF 6641 is the leader and the  8224 was set out.
Dennis

Date: 01/20/17 11:54
Author: crazybill

From about 5 am
Picture by Mike Ledesma.
No further details
-Bill-

Date: 01/20/17 12:05
Author: CCMF

"PTC will not work with engine running backward"

I understand the sentence, but can someone elaborate on that ?   Seems very odd because in the real world engines are going to be working on PTC-required territory running backwards or shoving cars all the time ...

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 01/20/17 12:53
Author: callum_out

Not in lead position, believe I've heard the same thing that the system is directional and in place
to avoid head-ons, requiring a clear forward view.

Out

Date: 01/20/17 12:57
Author: HotWater

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not in lead position, believe I've heard the same
> thing that the system is directional and in place
> to avoid head-ons, requiring a clear forward
> view.
>
> Out

Since PTC is GPS satellite location based, why would it "require a clear forward view"? I didn't think that forward facing video cameras had any input into to the PTC system.

Date: 01/20/17 16:48
Author: ble692

I have not had one running long hood forward yet with PTC, but the system does ask which way the lead locomotive is facing when you login to set up the train.

Date: 01/20/17 17:59

BNSF PTC desk, DS and crew is saying the system is not set up for running backward. That is one thing the PTC deck will be working on to fix. They tried to get the PTC to work on the engine but the PTC desk said it is one of the faults of the system that need to be work on.
Dennis

Date: 01/20/17 18:11
Author: ble692

cajon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BNSF PTC desk, DS and crew is saying the system is not set up for running backward. That is one thing
> the PTC deck will be working on to fix. They tried to get the PTC to work on the engine but the PTC
> desk said it is one of the faults of the system that need to be work on.

​Interesting. So why didn't they just go without it? PTC is not mandatory yet, and many locomotives do not have it installed yet. My train yesterday had no PTC on the leader. Highball!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/17 18:11 by ble692.

Date: 01/20/17 18:44
Author: jkchubbes

When setting up PTC it asks which direction your lead unit is facing, wont log in otherwise.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/20/17 19:43

So why didn't they just go without it?
They went without the PTC to Barstow. After talking to the PTC desk they saided to cut out the PTC as the system is not set up for a engine running back ward. The leader was removed.
Dennis

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds