Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sacto Adventures

Date: 02/19/17 17:20
Sacto Adventures
Author: dwatry

I had a day to hang out in Sacramento on Saturday so I made my way to Haggin Jct (where former SP mainline goes over former WP mainline).  Surprised when I got there to see a large group of fans, all there for a Calrailfans meetup.  Nice bunch of people to hang out with and chat!   Unlike most of my other recent ventures, the sun actually came out for much of the day!

It was an especially interesting day to be at Haggin.  The former SP Valley Sub from Roseville-Binney Jct was closed due to a bridge problem.  The former SP Fresno sub from Elvas Jct to Stockton was closed due to flooding and a derailment.  And the former WP Feather River was closed due to a washout.  So Haggin became operations central as every train in or out of Sacramento/Roseville had to go through Haggin and had to use the former WP to go north or south, and many had to do a lot of pulling through and shoving back in order to get facing the right way on the right piece of track.   Made for fairly nonstop action all day.  I took one quick side trip to Roseville for lunch and to go to Railroad Hobbies, but the train total for the day was for me was 15 trains between about 9am and 345pm.  And several of those 15 passed twice as they sawed back and forth.   Photos not shown in chronological order.
1)  "Salad shooter" arrives from Stockton on Sacramento Sub (former WP) - about to duck under former SP.  This train has a unit on each end.
2)   Same train - reverses and backs from the Sac Sub onto the former SP. 
3)   Same train - heading east to Roseville.

Date: 02/19/17 17:25
Re: Sacto Adventures

4)  BNSF local shoving backward from Sac Sub onto Martinez Sub, with brakeman riding last car.  This maneuever happened continuously throughout the day.
5)  BNSF local with Blue Diamond Almond plant in background.
6)  BNSF local heads to Elvas to access portion of Fresno sub to switch industries. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/17 07:20 by dwatry.

Date: 02/19/17 17:28

7)  Really long UP arrives on Sac Sub.  Note 3 standard cab units in loco consist.
8)  Everything happens at once - westbound crosses right on top of this train.  Kind of tight shot of the meet!
9)  Shoving back onto Martinez Sub over Sac Sub. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/17 07:20 by dwatry.

Date: 02/19/17 17:30

10)  Same train heads east to Roseville.
11)  Southbound on Sac Sub about to duck under Martinez Sub.
12)  Southbound on Sac Sub ducking under Martinez Sub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/17 23:05 by dwatry.

Date: 02/19/17 17:32

13)  Westbound Capitol Corridor approaches Haggin.
14)  Eastbound on Martinez Sub. 
15)  Westbound intermodal on Martinez Sub. 

Date: 02/19/17 17:34

16)  Westbound overtakes parked train on mainline near Roseville.
17)  Eastbound approaching Roseville.
18)  Stored standard cab GEs at Roseville.

Date: 02/19/17 17:37

19)  Train shoving backward from Martinez Sub to head south on Sac Sub.  Overhead machinery is part of the almond plant.
20)  Westbound intermodal meets BNSF local. 
21)  Calrailfan meetup attendees. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/17 23:06 by dwatry.

Date: 02/19/17 18:01
Author: stash

A motley crew in photo 21. These CalRailFan meets are fun. Check their Facebook page for dates as they're planned out for a year. You did pick a great day to visit Haggin.

Date: 02/19/17 20:56
Author: NorCalAdam

Nice set!

Date: 02/20/17 16:43
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!  Looks like you had a good day.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1305 seconds