Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Warm 'Welcome Home' Day Out

Date: 03/18/17 20:55
A Warm 'Welcome Home' Day Out
Author: z-trains

​Coming from a local that was in the mid 20's last night to one that peaked at 90 today was more than a slight shock to the system, but granted, being in a local with actual train traffic to speak of was also a bit of a shock. Given that I only have a week in California before going back to Grand Rapids for the rest of my spring semester, my father and I decided to spend as much time as we can during the break railfanning, and today was no exception. With word of a military train on the UP waiting to head north, we decided to head over to Colton area, and what we discovered was a bit of a mess, with a northbound manifest using the track leading onto the Palmdale Cutoff as a lead for switching, leading to a number of trains on the cutoff being backed up. With no further ado, here are the photos that followed!
  • A northbound military train passes by a southbound M-FRWC stopped on the main track at Slover, California, as it slows for a stop signal at the north end of the double track segment of the cutoff.
  • As the military train waits on the siding, another southbound manifest train with a brand new ES44AH tier 4 credit unit on the point coasts downgrade by the M1 Abrams on the train's flatcars.
  • After the southbound clears, the military train continues its northbound journey with the rear DPU passing into the distance.
There's more...

Zach
http://www.z-trains.com

Date: 03/18/17 21:03
Re: A Warm 'Welcome Home' Day Out
Author: z-trains

• At Loma Linda, California, an eastbound stack train heads up around a manifest slowly making its way upgrade a mile or so behind it.
  • A few minutes later, the manifest passes with an almost purely EMD consist.
  • As a bonus, we stumbled upon some Burros in Reche Canyon on our way home, as San Tim Blvd. was closed in Riverside County due to road work.
Have a great Saturday!

Zach
http://www.z-trains.com

Date: 03/19/17 07:23
Author: oklachaser

Great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/19/17 11:10
Author: sandmanre

That's the same train that TexBob cought back on 3/14/17.  He has a nice video if you haven't seen it.

Ron Evans
Golden Valley, AZ

Date: 03/19/17 14:54
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  I enjoyed the last one.....:<)

Date: 03/19/17 17:55
Author: jmbreitigan

Some donkey power in your last photo. 
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds