Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF and UP Customers

Date: 03/22/17 13:19
BNSF and UP Customers
Author: mearsksealand

While watching the Final Four basketball  last Saturday I kept a log of the various customers using the BNSF and UP. This is a very scentific study done from my rocking chair in front of TV. viewing the Cajon Webcam. Viewed a total of 17 BNSF--15 Intermodal---UP 5 trains three intermodal

The survey is some what tilted to the BNSF as the UP doesn't run that many trains over Cajon Pass.

BNSF International Customers
Maersk
Safmarine division of Maersk
Hamburg-Sud  division of Maersk
MSC
Hyundia------All above make up 2M Alliance
CMA-CGM
Cosco
OOCL
China Shipping-----all above make up Ocean Alliance also Evergreen--UP customer
MOL
UASC---purchased by Hapag-Lloyd
Yang Ming----all above make up The Alliance which also includes NYK Kline Hapag Lloyd UP customers
Matson
Horizon

BNSF Domestic Customers
J B Hunt      Swift       Schneider     C H Robinson    Alliance Shippers Prime Intermodal
Fedex--All div  YRC    Dart    KLLM   Crowley   ABF  UPS  Walmart  ESTES  CSX  R&L
Covenant  Knight Celedon  Marten   NYK Logistics  APL Logistics  Bold Transport America   K&R
 Frozen Food Express

UP Inernational
K Line  The Alliance 
MSC 2m alliance
Hamburg -SUD div Maersk 2M Alliance
APL
CMA-CMG---APL CMA-CMG same company Ocean Alliance
Hapag-Lloyd --The Alliance
Cosco  Ocean Alliance
Mol The Alliance
Matson 
Evergreen  Ocean Alliance

UP Domestic
Prime Intermodal   YRC    XPO(PACER) Hub CSX UPS JB Hunt

With the exception of HUB Cities XPO the others listed do not give the volume to UP vs BNSF

Thats it for this scentific study from the rocking chair

Dale Smith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 22:32 by mearsksealand.

Date: 03/22/17 19:06
Re: BNSF and UP Customers
Author: SPMemphisFreight

Nice research lounge.  I keep the sports box separate, but watching several UP hot spots not named Cajon Pass from the comfort of my computer chair they pretty much handle all the domestic truckers you listed for BNSF except I've not seen any Schneider or CH Robinson.  Have seen Southern Refrigerated Express and on the LATC-Brooklyn traffic, DSV and Market Transport.   The volume is much less than the BNSF, of course.

Date: 03/22/17 19:49
Author: Lackawanna484

Isn't Hapag-Lloyd buying somebody?

Date: 03/22/17 22:29
Author: spwolfmtn

Likely that the UP train carrying the domestic stuff that BNSF usually handles was the ZLADV or ISC(whatever LA terminal this train goes too..) since BNSF doesn't serve that lane out of California?

Date: 03/22/17 22:30
Author: mearsksealand

Yes USAC---has been felayed because of financial problems at USAC

Dale Smith

Date: 03/23/17 08:47
Author: ntharalson

Interesting that there are no Schneider listings for UP.  When Schneider first went to rail service,
they had an exclusive contract with the SP.  Within six months of that, the orange trailers and
boxes were showing up on the Santa Fe/BNSF.  I'm pretty sure Hub Group went to UP because
of price, cheaper than BNSF, but I'm wondering why Schneider deserted UP.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/24/17 08:39
Author: fresno

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting that there are no Schneider listings
> for UP.  When Schneider first went to rail
> service,
> they had an exclusive contract with the SP.
>  Within six months of that, the orange trailers
> and
> boxes were showing up on the Santa Fe/BNSF.  I'm
> pretty sure Hub Group went to UP because
> of price, cheaper than BNSF, but I'm wondering why
> Schneider deserted UP.  

​Schneider stopped shipping with the UP in January 2008 when most of the contract went to the BNSF. Before that, Schneider's business seemed to be split between the two roads depending on the lane being used. There were a few exceptions to that as Schneider continued to do business with UP on the I-5 Z trains and a few other areas for a while longer, but that business is long gone now.

Date: 03/24/17 09:04
Author: mapboy

Good list!  Your list makes me realize I haven't seen a colorful AxSun container in awhile.  Seen any lately on the webcam?  I hadn't seen K&R before, and Knight I've only seen on UP.  You had a good day in the armchair!

mapboy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds