Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Signal Classic at Daggett

Date: 03/22/17 21:26
A Signal Classic at Daggett
Author: casavoye

DocJones recently posted a few shots from one of his favorite train watching spots. While Daggett is not known for its photogenics, its one of the great spots in the west to sit back with a cup of coffee and watch the show of intermodals racing out of Barstow at dawn. I first discovered this magical place in the 90's before the triple track was installed out from Barstow and CTC added to create operational flexibilities to the growing container business. When I watched 5 Warbonnets crest the small rise and blow by at 70 per, the wake turbulence nearly blew my hoddie off. The Daggett experience was in full display. I was hooked. 

I found a couple of shots that represent the changes over time. Photo 1 is the Eastbound Control signal in the former DT ABS days. Many years later, I drove up one Saturday morning from the Inland Empire to enjoy that coffee and witness a new Daggett. Photos 2 and 3 are taken looking east at West Daggett.

Date: 03/22/17 22:10
Re: A Signal Classic at Daggett
Author: DynamicBrake

FANTASTIC trio Chip!  That first shot is IOTD material!  The second has some serious "sunrise glint" to it...nice work.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 03/22/17 23:25
Author: vegasrails

Got hooked in 03  love the night there

Date: 03/23/17 02:44
Author: mojaveflyer

All three are gorgeous but I think I like #2 the best... Thanks for sharing!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 03/23/17 04:20
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 03/23/17 05:26
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!

Date: 03/23/17 08:05
Author: Zephyr

Classic shots of a classic place to watch and photograph trains Chip!  You will have to join the Doc Jones "regulars" up there some day to capture more moments like these.
Thanks for posting!

Zephyr

Date: 03/23/17 08:13
Author: 3rdswitch

Excellent trio. A great place for sure, the power that passed through in the seventies, wow.
JB

Date: 03/23/17 09:27
Author: JamesSchlinger

Nice shots! 

Date: 03/23/17 14:11
Author: SD70M

I should be in that neck of the woods in 2 weeks time, sure looking forward to it. You certainly whetted my appetite

Date: 03/23/17 15:29
Author: casavoye

Thanks for the nice comments. And I agree with vegasrails that nights are fantastic too, Actually anytime is a great time at Daggett. Just have to be careful of that heat on a mid-summer day !  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds