Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Amana appliance pool cars

Date: 03/23/17 08:53
Amana appliance pool cars
Author: fbe

The MILW Rd served the Iowa factory and modified some 40' ribside boxcars with 9' wide doors and SEL load restraining devices. They also did a pair for WP. MILW Rd also had other modified 9' door ribsides with yellow or brown doors so I am wondering if these were used in the Amana pool as well as the yellow striped cars.

Did anyone here pay attention to the Amana pool cars or take photos?

Thanks.

Date: 03/23/17 12:20
Re: Amana appliance pool cars
Author: zr190

Amana quit shipping by rail about the time of the Milw Bankruptcy(open to correction). 
Any pictures
that might be available would be from years ago.  Suggest you post your question
on the notalgia board.
zr190

Date: 03/23/17 12:23
Author: Realist

IIRC, SEL stood for Spartan Easy Loader.

Date: 03/23/17 17:44
Author: BCHellman

Where in Iowa is (was) the plant?

Date: 03/23/17 17:53

The town called Amana.

Date: 03/23/17 18:53
Author: callum_out

South and West of Cedar Rapids, North and West of Iowa City, nice little town.

Out

Date: 03/23/17 19:53
Author: MILW16

Actually I believe the Milwaukee modified quite a number (50+) of 40-ft ribside boxcars with 9-ft doors.  Some were painted boxcar red with a yellow horizontal stripe the length of the car, while others were just boxcar red. Lettering on the doors could be SEL or DF or LRD. The doors could be all yellow or all boxcar red.  I think they started rebuilding the cars in 1960.  I would guess that not all cars were intended for appliance service.

The SEL marked cars appeared to be 8360-8386.

They also bought new 40-ft boxcars with 9-ft doors in the 1960s.  In 1968 the Milwaukee ordered about 25 40-ft high-cube boxcars for Whirlpool appliance service.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/17 20:08 by MILW16.

Date: 03/23/17 20:17

Those are cars I am familiar with from Doug Nishwonger's MILW freight and passenger book. This is the first confirmation I have that cars other than those with the stripe were in the pool. What other roads had cars in the pool? WP bought two of the MILW ribside cars as their contribution to the pool. Did you see these cars their?

Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds