Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The INDY Road pt 10: Snow at Mansfield!

Date: 04/17/17 10:05
The INDY Road pt 10: Snow at Mansfield!
Author: santafe199

I awoke March 10 in Mansfield, OH to find about 4 inches of snow adorning Willie III (my Ford Escape). Let’s get my stuff loaded up, and go find some breakfast. And large mug of steaming coffee. It’s a bit nippy this AM…

1. Willie III wasn’t expecting a 4” blanket of snow. I wasn’t either, come to think about it...

Date: 04/17/17 10:07
Re: The INDY Road pt 10: Snow at Mansfield!

With snow on the ground and cold sunshine filtering down I gave myself a liberal window of time to find a train or 2 downtown. Although I had been told there wasn’t much traffic through here in Mansfield. I found a really cool shot with an overhead signal bridge and some industrial building background scenery so I was determined. I settled in at the 4th St crossing to wait. It took over an hour, but I finally heard a horn…

2. …from the wrong direction. And it was only a lite, 2-unit consist led by NS 6357 that came up the middle track…

3. & 4. …just to be crossed over to the far track and return from whence it came.

Date: 04/17/17 10:08

5. By the time this hi-rail truck arrived the sunshine had converted to hazy overcast. I took that as an omen to move on…
(Photos 1-5 taken in Mansfield, OH)

Date: 04/17/17 10:10

6. I kept a westward heading and found Crestline, OH. I remembered a sleepy station stop here back in 1980 while riding Amtrak’s Broadway Limited. A little bit of exploratory photography netted me CSXT 5460 on an autorack train waiting at the Oldfield Rd crossing just north of town.

7. The old Pennsy depot in Bucyrus, OH was looking great! But I just couldn’t get around that mischievous cloud cover.

Date: 04/17/17 10:13

With all sorts of advance encouragement I found Marion, OH and naturally gravitated toward the multiple crossings around Center St & Kenton Ave. I was hoping for a few trains, but I must have hit the “flat side” of the lineup…

8. I found CSXT 6979 on a short little train (local?) heading east. This shot was taken from Huber St just east of the State St overpass in Marion.

9. A block north and 3 blocks west was CSXT 6934 stopped west of Oak St, also eastbound. This train was evidently doing some switching. It eventually backed into the yard west of downtown Marion.

10. After waiting almost 90” in Marion I found NS 3473 on another local stopped just south of Bellefontaine Ave to do some work. With this disappointing dearth of trains I decided to just move on.
(All photos taken March 10, 2017)

Next up in parts #11 & #12: LOTS of trains up & down western Ohio, found with the expert “local turf” guidance of a new railfan compadre…

Thanks for riding along!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 04/17/17 12:12
Author: Ritzville

NICE series! Nice snow shots in Spring!

Larry

Date: 04/17/17 12:43
Author: oklachaser

Great series of photos Lance.

Ronda Thomas

Posted from Android

Date: 04/18/17 09:50
Author: jmbreitigan

You did well.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds