Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "Stop the Presses!!!"

Date: 04/24/17 05:48
"Stop the Presses!!!"
Author: funnelfan

.......POVA will be right back with more Newsprint from Usk, WA. POVA heading down the Pend Oreille River with empty boxes for the Newsprint plant at Usk, WA. This was from the middle of march when there was still some snow on the ground.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/24/17 06:15
Re: "Stop the Presses!!!"
Author: philhoov

Hi Ted ~
I thought the POVA had been shut down due to a bridge issue.
Phil

Date: 04/24/17 06:56
Author: monaddave

philhoov Wrote:
<<I thought the POVA had been shut down due to a bridge issue.>>

Phil -
North of Usk, account the new, more stringent FRA bridge inspection rules. Since there is no freight revenue between Usk and Metaline Falls, WA they decided to mothball that portion of the railroad. That pretty much helped to end the Lions Club passenger trains, but I understand they may start running them out of Newport later this year.
Dave in Msla

Date: 04/24/17 09:04
Author: spwolfmtn

Even though I know it's still open, I remember reading that Ponderay Newsprint in Usk had really scaled back operations, talk of closure last year. That would be a huge hit for POVA.

I wonder if business has got better for them recently?

Date: 04/24/17 09:24
Author: Ritzville

Nice interesting pictures Ted.

Larry

Date: 04/24/17 12:10
Author: sd40nut

Well at least the passenger equipment is there in Newport now - all it needs is a locomotive to tow them around.  Thanks for sharing the Usk news.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds