Home Open Account Help 191 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Which state has the most amount of Quiet/No Horn Zones?

Date: 04/24/17 16:05
Which state has the most amount of Quiet/No Horn Zones?
Author: railfaneric

Good Evening everybody, I was thinking about quiet zones because I see Illinois has quite a large amount of QZ places in the Chicago area unfortunately. Which states have the most amount of no horn zones & how many do they have?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/17 16:05 by railfaneric.

Date: 04/24/17 16:13
Re: Which state has the most amount of Quiet/No Horn Zones?
Author: Ritzville

I can't answer your question, but I don't like quiet zones!

Larry

Date: 04/24/17 17:14
Author: czephyr17

Most of the quiet zones in the Chicago area have been there for decades. They were grandfathered in under the quiet zone rules that the FRA adopted a few years ago.

Date: 04/24/17 18:29
Author: SD70M

It diet seem the same at Rochelle last week, my first time since the QZ was implemented

Posted from Android

Date: 04/24/17 19:12
Author: BigSkyBlue

I suppose Illinois has more Quiet Zones than other states because it has more railroad lines than other states. BSB

Date: 04/24/17 23:16
Author: TCnR

What is the situation in Wyoming?

There is only one grade crossing on the UP in Cheyenne and they built a series of hotels nearby. Obviously, folks would stay one time and never come back. Last year I noticed the UP trains rarely used their horns at that crossing. After a while I realized I had not heard many horns on either RR in the area.

Except for that particular crossing it could just be the expanses and the constant wind.

Date: 04/25/17 07:38
Author: kevink

czephyr17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most of the quiet zones in the Chicago area have
> been there for decades. They were grandfathered
> in under the quiet zone rules that the FRA adopted
> a few years ago.

While this is true of the crossings on the BNSF and UP lines in Metra territory, there are many crossings in the Chicago area that have been recently upgraded to be quiet zones. For example, many grade crossings on the former EJ&E were upgraded to quiet zones as part of CN concessions to the communities along the line. CN has also installed quiet zones on its former IC mainline to Freeport, IL.

Date: 04/25/17 20:52
Author: atsf121

I believe the longest continuous quiet zone is the UTA Frontrunner line from Provo, UT north to Ogden, UT. At least that was UTA's claim when the full line was completed a few years ago. But I have know clue as to which state has the most? I guess part of that would be how do you measure. Is it by mileage or number of crossings?

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds