Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Stretching through tunnel #3.

Date: 04/24/17 19:12
Stretching through tunnel #3.
Author: SPgoletablock

-This BNSF train is only seconds away from entering the West portal of tunnel #5. Behind the power you can see the major landslide and washout of the temporary shoo-fly alignment that was constructed around tunnel #5 because of the devastating 1952 earthquake. Not exactly sure the date of this major erosion but my best guess would be it happened during the succession of major rain events around January 20th 2017.
-In the second shot DPU's CSX 5341 and BNSF 4886 provide dynamic braking on this WB manifest. On the middle left side of the photo you can see the pipe that comes from a massive pump that the excavating company is using to divert the water from the upper reaches of the Clear Creek Ravine to the other side of the right of way. 15 cars in front of the helpers you can see where the pipe cuts through the ballast roadbed and down the embankment.
-Photos taken 4/21/17

Date: 04/24/17 19:52
Re: Stretching through tunnel #3.
Author: SN711

Great shots. The second train with the CSX DPU was an HBARRIC. I shot that train near Richmond on Saturday.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/24/17 22:02
Author: Fizzboy7

Interesting story there. I can't recall any story about a landslide in this area this year. But it's believable, considering the heavy rains earlier this year. If anyone has more info, that would be great.

Date: 04/25/17 05:46
Author: ns1000

NICE pics!!

Date: 04/25/17 08:35
Author: SP8595

Awesome pair! Fantastic vantage point in shot #1!

Date: 04/25/17 17:38
Author: ble692

They have been working on the former shoefly since at least January 29th. It was washed out at that point.

Date: 05/17/17 16:16
Author: mapboy

There seems to be a lot of earth missing above the abandoned Tunnel 4, the cut where the cars disappear.  For some of the geologists on here, does it seem like in ages past that earth slipped into Clear Creek Canyon?  Tunnel 3 remains in use thru this ridge.

mapboy

Edit: Still catching up on my reading.  I just realized no one's probably going to see my late comment.  8>(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/17 16:19 by mapboy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0353 seconds