Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Rail traffic density map?

Date: 04/24/17 21:01
Rail traffic density map?
Author: Mr_sd40-2

I have Harry Ladd's US Railroad Traffic Atlas from about 15 years ago. I can't find an up to date version of this or a density map on the internet. Anyone know where I can find one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/17 21:01 by Mr_sd40-2.

Date: 04/25/17 04:04
Re: Rail traffic density map?
Author: kgmontreal

As far as I know Harry Ladd does not offer an updated version of his traffic atlas. In the most recent version that he published he said it would be his last because it was just too much work. I wish this was not the case because I find his book very valuable. I have not found any source of similar information.

KG

Date: 04/25/17 04:33
Author: SD45X

Trains mag has a couple. Outdated probably.

Date: 04/25/17 06:24
Author: P

I have this and it is still a valuable tool. An update would be nice, but I don't think it is forthcoming. Harry used to be a member here on TO, maybe still is. Perhaps he will see this and chime in.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/25/17 07:51
Author: stash

Mapboy

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have this and it is still a valuable tool. An
> update would be nice, but I don't think it is
> forthcoming. Harry used to be a member here on
> TO, maybe still is. Perhaps he will see this and
> chime in.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 04/28/17 14:55
Author: DubyaM

Perhaps one could find out where Harry Ladd got his data then get a Rand-McNally Railroad Atlas and do it oneself.

Date: 05/04/17 05:11
Author: mapboy

DubyaM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps one could find out where Harry Ladd got
> his data then get a Rand-McNally Railroad Atlas
> and do it oneself.

We've been gone for two weeks, I'm functioning on European time.  It seems a lot people get the info they need by asking questions on TrainOrders.  Fewer people support printed material by purchasing it, but it is an excellent way to have all the info in one place, as in the Atlas.  So if you see something in print that you like, buy it before it's discontinued, whether it's a book or magazine.

Eventually I was only breaking even on the Atlas, to where it was not going to pay to make the effort to update it.  Railfan Depot reproduces the last edition- traffic patterns persist for a long time in many areas.  I still use it a lot, especially for Eastern railroads.  I have used the Atlas to look up things like alternative routes for traffic diverted off the Clinchfield, and to mark up regional maps with mainline U.S. rail routes that we'd pass over on our air flights.  Yesterday's Norwegian Air flight accurately located our position on our flight.  I could    even zoom down to major highway maps that included rail, so that I could spot the Hudson Bay Railway line to Churchill on Hudson Bay (the "Canadian Railways Atlas" also helped).  Anyone know how many other airlines have that feature?  If I wasn't already familiar with Western routes, I'd look up the detour options for the Sims, CA, derailment.  I often look up points on rail lines mentioned on TO, find them on Google Maps, then see which line on the Atlas they are located on.

I got the info from railroad-produced traffic density maps, but I've let those contacts go over the years.  I also got info from railfan contributors and publications, and state rail plans put out by state transportation departments that often have traffic info.  I still get a lot of rail info sent to me anonymously (thanks, guys!).  When someone on TO gives a train count on a particular line, I write it down on my copy.  Unfortunately, no new edition coming from me.

mapboy Harry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds