Home Open Account Help 164 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Weekend trip out to Tehachapi-Day 1

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/25/17 10:00
Weekend trip out to Tehachapi-Day 1
Author: SP8595

After four failed previous attempts, the weather finally looked decent enough out on Tehachapi last weekend so I flew out and spent Thursday, April 20th through Sunday, the 23rd railfanning with my Dad out on this Awesome line! Of course there were some "blown shots" and a couple of times our chase plans didn't quite work out as planned but it was still a Fantastic time to just be out shooting trains with the "old man":}

We also had the chance to catch up with some old friends and had the privilege of meeting quite a few distinguished photographers for the first time.
All in all, it was a most excellent weekend!

After my Dad picked me up at Orange County Airport on Thursday, we headed straight up to Cajon Pass and even though it was going to be right at mid-day, we decided to check out the new road construction up at Summit.

1) A solid BNSF Intermodal train led by the BNSF 7658 heads East with the new road construction in the foreground. The current road can be seen in the very bottom left corner.

2) Going away shot of Summit. To the right where the road construction equipment is, the fill abruptly ends. I'm not sure what the plan is for the new road after that?

3) An empty Autorack train heading to San Diego proceeds Westbound on the North Main at the Highway 138 overpass as my Dad looks on from down below.

-----------------------------Five More Pictures Posted Below--------------------

Date: 04/25/17 10:01
Re: Weekend trip out to Tehachapi-Day 1

4) Union Pacific 7375 leads a Salt Lake City to Long Beach Intermodal train Westbound at Blue Cut.

Now it was time to head over to Tehachapi.

5) UP 7949 leads the LATC to Lathrop Z-train at the Cable Crossover, just beating some cloud cover. The patch of yellow flowers in the background (in the shade) were some of the only flowers on the Pass!

6) Stung by clouds covering the Sun on this shot:{ The UP 7379 heads East with the counterpart Lathrop to LATC Z-train.

---------------------Two More Pictures Posted Below---------------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/17 10:16 by SP8595.

Date: 04/25/17 10:01

7) We were lucky when a patch of clear sky allowed the Sun to shine on the pride of the fleet:} UP 6492 as the DP shoves on the rear of the Eastbound Z.

With clouds down in the Pass, we decided to head East towards Mojave and after missing a BNSF ACe leading an Eastbound train, we decided to call it a day and head for the night at Tehachapi.

8) On the way back West, we spotted this Union Pacific loaded Cement train heading from Creal to Pt. Stockton stopped behind a loaded BNSF Grain train (symbol G BNBGUC9 13) both parked at Monolith.

Kind of a lean day but we kind of planned on that. We were just hoping that the cloud cover would be gone by tomorrow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/17 10:15 by SP8595.

Date: 04/25/17 10:33
Author: SPgoletablock

Great series of shots! Really liking the one at Monolith. Was a real pleasure finally meeting yourself and you dad. Can't wait for your day 2 photos! Especially the ones that snuck by me.

Date: 04/25/17 10:42
Author: erielackawanna

Great stuff! Looking forward to more.

Date: 04/25/17 11:49
Author: CBRL

Great photos! #5 and #7 are my favorites.

Tom
CBRL

Date: 04/25/17 12:12
Author: TrainRidingGal

Looking forward to more photos from your trip. My favorite is the last one at Monolith.

Date: 04/25/17 12:30
Author: Valleyman

Nice work John! Quite a few keepers in that group. Looking forward to the next group. Amazing how much grading has been done at the summit. Won't be the same after next year.

Valleyman

Date: 04/25/17 12:30
Author: SCKP187

Nice series and photos. Covered a lot quickly. Really like the Monolith evening shot.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/25/17 12:40
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!

Larry

Date: 04/25/17 13:16
Author: GRNDMND

Oh, I like #8 a whole bunch. All look great John. Good stuff.

KC

Date: 04/25/17 13:43
Author: CNW8531

Nice series of shots!

Date: 04/25/17 13:53
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch but most of all good quality time with pop.
JB

Date: 04/25/17 14:26
Author: highgreengraphics

Nice shots, and great time of the year to be there! === === = === JLH

Date: 04/25/17 16:17
Author: TheNavigator

Nice shots, John; looks like you had a productive trip.  Looking forward to the rest of it.
GK 

Date: 04/25/17 17:05
Author: ockahuna

Nice series of photos, John.

Wayne
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 04/25/17 20:48
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!! I like the last one!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/17 20:49 by ns1000.

Date: 04/25/17 21:45
Author: DynamicBrake

Thanks for sharing memorable shots from your trip to Tehach. That last shot is the best. Glad you got to spend some quality time there.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 04/25/17 21:54
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Very Nice John! Thanks for Sharing!

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 04/25/17 22:12
Author: oyw

Fine job, welcome home!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds