Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Inspection Special: Eastern Utah Edition

Date: 04/26/17 14:03
Inspection Special: Eastern Utah Edition
Author: 2ebright

I got lucky today; no, not THAT way! A very helpful Trainorders member gave me a heads up yesterday about the coming appearance of the UP Engineering Special for today, and I happened to be spending a few days family time in Moab, Utah, a mere 30 miles south of the UP Green River Sub. So, after some begging and pleading I was granted a "hall pass" for a few hours of train watching. The Special was expected at Helper, Utah at 9:15AM and some quick mental math yielded an approximate time at my planned trackside location at around 11:15AM. I scouted out a favorable location between the sidings of Solitude and Floy and began my wait at around 9AM. As an aside, I don't think these ex. D&RGW maintenance roads have seen a road grader since before the merger. While I was waiting I checked Trainorders on my cell phone and sure enough, some of the Wasatch Front fans had caught this train on the western side of Soldier Summit, between Summit and Spanish Fork. So, I waited, did a couple of crossword puzzles and cursed the total cloud cover here. Oh well, you can't control everything. So, at 11:23AM, here comes the Special, making good time. Two shots are shown here as the train flashed by me. Sorry for the dull, muddy lighting, but as I said, It was cloudy.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/17 14:16 by 2ebright.

Date: 04/26/17 14:38
Re: Inspection Special: Eastern Utah Edition
Author: Utah5005

As I was driving home from my chase of the special I found myself wondering if you had heard about it and would catch it. I'm glad you got word of it as those are some out of this world amazing shots!

Spencer Peterson
Payson, UT

Date: 04/26/17 17:59
Author: GrandeGold

Sweet shots, Dick. Wow, our paths nearly crossed. I ended my chase at Price. Our photos were within 120 miles of each other.

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 04/26/17 18:05
Author: atsf121

Glad you caught it, I didn't get a chance to chase, saving up time for tomorrow.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/26/17 18:56
Author: SCKP187

Great catch and super scenery shots. Hang onto the hall pass.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/27/17 13:07
Author: jmbreitigan

You made good use of your hall pass Dick.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2432 seconds