Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ??? Detours on the LA&SL due to Sims bridge reconstruction???

Date: 04/27/17 14:32
??? Detours on the LA&SL due to Sims bridge reconstruction???
Author: RustyRayls

Does anyone have an idea on how many trains will be added to the traffic on the LA&SL due to the derailment? Do thjey have enough qualified crews to handle the extra traffic?

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 04/27/17 15:10
Re: ??? Detours on the LA&SL due to Sims bridge reconstruction???
Author: fresno

Only LA&SL reroute that I know of is a ZBRLCD coming west from Milford which looks to be the last I-5 train rerouting on that line for the time being. The rest of the I-5 Z trains will reroute via the BNSF's IG trackage between Keddie Jct and Klamath Falls.

The manifest trains running between Oregon and Roseville are taking the longer routing via the OSL, south from Pocatello to SLC, and west on the UP's ex-WP/SP lines to Sparks and over the hill to Roseville. The Shafter Sub should be a very busy place over the next few weeks or so.

Date: 04/27/17 15:46
Author: icancmp193

On the BNSF Gateway Sub, I have seen 2 detours since the Sims bridge incident. At 1100'ish yesterday, a nb single-stack at Keddie and just now 1540 hours a sb manifest (which came as a surprise) at Gateway MP193 (suburban Crescent Mills, CA). Have not seen a southbound Z yet, which I have seen on the UP in Durham (south of Chico) around noontime. Not sure what the Z schedules are when they are on the UP.

Also see neighbor DaveL's separate post.

TJY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/17 17:24 by icancmp193.

Date: 04/27/17 16:01
Author: Railbaron

There are detours on the way, a QPDRV now and a QPWRV leaving Eugene tonight or tomorrow morning both headed east in the Gorge but I assume they'll turn west out of SLC.

I doubt there will be many detours outside the general I-5 Corridor anyway. I don't want to give any clues who my source is but as I don't know if this is public knowledge but the plan is eventually to run 3 trains each way a day via the BNSF from Klamath Falls to Keddie then to Roseville. Since there are basically only 3 scheduled manifest trains each way on the I-5 Corridor that detour should cover those. I assume the Z and I trains would detour via the LA&SL. The extra trains that run, grain, oddball intermodal moves, would also no doubt detour through SLC but whether they'd go down the LA&SL would be determined by final destination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/17 16:02 by Railbaron.

Date: 04/27/17 16:23
Author: fresno

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I doubt there will be many detours outside the
> general I-5 Corridor anyway. I don't want to give
> any clues who my source is but as I don't know if
> this is public knowledge but the plan is
> eventually to run 3 trains each way a day via the
> BNSF from Klamath Falls to Keddie then to
> Roseville.

Interesting, as I hadn't heard about the UP manifest trains rerouting out of Klamath Falls on the BNSF along with the Z trains, but it would make sense to do it that way. Have heard that several rerouted manifest trains are already running between Roseville and SLC at this time, with several more headed south to go west from SLC, so looks like both routes will be utilized to handle that traffic. As far as the LA&SL being used for more trains, hard to say at this time what will happen on that route.

Date: 04/27/17 17:59
Author: donner_dude1

Railbaron Wrote:
> I assume
> the Z and I trains would detour via the LA&SL. The
> extra trains that run, grain, oddball intermodal
> moves, would also no doubt detour through SLC but
> whether they'd go down the LA&SL would be
> determined by final destination.

So the I-5 Z/I trains have no setouts at Lathrop?

Date: 04/27/17 18:13
Author: Railbaron

donner_dude1 Wrote:
> So the I-5 Z/I trains have no setouts at Lathrop?

First, nothing I posted is official but I am getting it from somebody who is talking to people higher up in UP. Right now everything is on a minute to minute basis with changes constantly happening as they figure out what to do. And if you note I said "I assume" with respect to the I and Z trains. Of course if you do the math and UP were to detour the QHKRV and MRVHK trains through SLC that would open a slot on the BNSF detours for an intermodal train. I imagine everything will be on a day to day basis for the time being until crews get qualified on the BNSF.

Date: 04/27/17 19:47
Author: strench707

On the intermodal front...

ZLCBRD 25, 26, 27 have all run Canyon/Gateway, ZLCBRD 28 shows to do the same.

ZBRLCD 25, 26, 27 have all run via SLC and LA&SL, ZBRLCD 28 shows to do the same.

Some of the IDITA and IDITAX trains that made it too far west have run back east up Cajon and terminated at Yermo, then continuing on as a IYRTAD via the LA&SL and SLC. There's now an IDITAD taking a more logical routing out there.

Davis

Date: 04/28/17 07:06
Author: sagehen

Why do the OSL reroutes for California go to SLC and then west over the former WP? Why don't they take the former SP at Ogden?

Stan

Date: 04/28/17 07:32
Author: BigSkyBlue

sagehen Wrote:
> Why do the OSL reroutes for California go to SLC
> and then west over the former WP? Why don't they
> take the former SP at Ogden?
>
> Stan

Probably still repairing flood damage on the SP route. BSB

Date: 04/28/17 08:37
Author: portlander

donner_dude1 Wrote:
>
>
> So the I-5 Z/I trains have no setouts at Lathrop?

To answer this question. The ZBRLC normally carries a Lathrop setout. The ZLCBRB and ZLCBRC do as well.

Date: 04/28/17 09:35
Author: Utah5005

sagehen Wrote:
> Why do the OSL reroutes for California go to SLC
> and then west over the former WP? Why don't they
> take the former SP at Ogden?
>
> Stan

Because there is no way for the trains to go west on the Lakeside sub at Cecil Junction (Where the Lakeside, Ogden, and Evanston subs meet). The trains would have to pull into Ogden yard and switch ends on the power to proceed west on the Lakeside sub so it is easier to just run them to Salt Lake and send them out on the Shafter sub. The Lakeside sub is repaired and back up and running at full strength by the way.

Spencer Peterson
Payson, UT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0768 seconds