Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Crossing the Snake . . .

Date: 04/28/17 11:55
Crossing the Snake . . .
Author: SCKP187

During the Western states trip earlier this month, oklachaser and myself crossed many prominent rivers in the travels. We spent some time near Huntington OR at the location of the crossing of the Snake River with a few results.

1. UP 5378-9013-5103 trundles east with a short perishables train ZWACYP--I'm assuming it picks up more blocks of refers along the way.

2&3 A heavy wb appeared with UP 6580-7116-6439 leading across the river and progressed into the canyon towards Huntington. This train also had 4 mid-trn DPUs and 2 rear DPUs 125-0-17853

4. Through the canyon just before entering the yard at Huntington OR
Photos April 19 2017 Thanks for looking.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/28/17 11:56
Re: Crossing the Snake . . .
Author: SCKP187

last 2

Date: 04/28/17 12:06
Author: truxtrax

It looks like the last photo is of the Burnt River
and I-84 on the side of the canyon west of Huntington.

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 04/28/17 12:21
Author: ns2557

Brian, Shot 4 is my favorite. Ya'll did good it sounds like. Ben

Date: 04/28/17 13:38
Author: HH

Photo 1-3: in the winter when the Burnt River is frozen and waiting for trains to shoot, it is great fun to slide rocks across the ice here…they make the most phenomenal sound. A buddy and I left an impressive collection of rocks out on the ice one late December day some years ago…train traffic was sparse that day. Here's an EB manifest approaching the bridge.

Hopmere Hank

Date: 04/28/17 16:07
Author: Ritzville

Nice series Brian! I too like picture #4. Nice area.

Larry

Date: 04/28/17 18:49
Author: Coalca

We spent the night out on that gravel bar once, had near continuous trains all night! My wife said never again... You can hear the trains coming long before they show up, but the flange squeal on that curve is what did her in. It's a great spot to hang out during the day, much too noisy at night.

Date: 04/28/17 21:34
Author: spwolfmtn

truxtrax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like the last photo is of the Burnt
> River
> and I-84 on the side of the canyon west of
> Huntington.

That is the Burnt River in the photo (looks like its running quite high), but that is definitely not I-84 on the side of the canyon! That road is barely, and I mean barely, wide enough for two cars! This location is railroad east of Huntington, the tracks cross the river into Idaho around the corner in the back ground of the photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/17 21:34 by spwolfmtn.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds