Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Good Times in Crozier Canyon

Date: 04/28/17 12:37
Good Times in Crozier Canyon
Author: Super_C

Good Times in Crozier Canyon

Some of the recent postings of Crozier Canyon images reminded me of many of the fantastic trips I have made to the Canyon. Since today is cold and snowing here in New Mexico and doing anything outside is the pits, I decided to post 4 shots in much nicer weather from three different locations in/on the Canyon to provide viewers an idea of why I like the place so much.

All 4 images were taken in either late June or early July for one reason; late afternoon light is great for both east and westbound traffic at the curve at MP 480. While the light is great, so is the heat! As a rule, we hang out in the motel in Kingman from lunch until 3:30 – 4:00 PM and then head out to the Canyon. It is usually someplace ~105° when we leave town. In the canyon, it is at least that hot, if not more. A big hat for shade and 4 bottles of water is a must. But the result of every trip/hike is worth it!

#1 This is a sunrise shot that was a bust. The view is looking compass north (railroad east) at the siding at Truxton on the east approach to the canyon. A cloud bank obscured the sun at the perfect moment for glint. Still, the meeting of 6907 West, Q-CXOLAC1-16A and 7804 East, S-LHALPC1-18A at dawn wound up still a keeper.

#2 Nothing special about this image of 7882 East passing MP 480 except that it is at track level.

#3 We are now on the west side of the canyon looking down at MP 480 as 7308 East grinds uphill.

#4 Taken from the exact position as image #3, 5201 West eases into the same curve.

Date: 04/28/17 12:53
Re: Good Times in Crozier Canyon
Author: mearsksealand

Snowing in April---bummer

Great series of shots in one of my favorite locations on the BNSF--actually from Belen to Kingman is great locations

Dale Smith

Date: 04/28/17 13:44
Author: PasadenaSub

#2) Nothing special? Seems like a good IOTD candidate to me! Just a perfect balance of composition, color, and a great blend of train, background terrain, and sky is all :o)

Great series,

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/17 13:45 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 04/28/17 15:07
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 04/28/17 17:32
Author: AndyBrown

All very nice but especially the 1st one. I like the shots from the N. side. I don't know if I'll ever get out there during high summer but that would be on my "to do" list.

Andy

Date: 04/28/17 18:07
Author: atsf121

#1 is stunning.

Nathan

Date: 04/28/17 18:26
Author: KimHeusel

Excellent photos, all of them. TO member 3rdswitch got me interested in this place a long time ago. I have yet to visit in person but at this point it's one of my favorite spots I haven't been to. Hopefully someday.

Kim Heusel

Date: 04/28/17 18:44
Author: SCUfoamer

Fantastic photos. "Pumpkin Patch Canyon"

Date: 04/28/17 22:29
Author: funnelfan

Great Pics!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/29/17 07:16
Author: 3rdswitch

That's a great bunch from a great place. As for weather, I can identify as right now there is a foot of snow outside and isn't supposed to stop until tonight or tomorrow morning. Southbound BNSF coal load is stalled blocking the crossing into Palmer Lake, just another day in the neighborhood.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0654 seconds