Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sad news, KRK passes

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 05/10/17 20:07
Sad news, KRK passes
Author: agentatascadero

I just learned of the passing of our Key Route Ken Shattock, a major contributor to these pages, on the evening of May 6th. His health had been failing for quite some time. Somehow, he managed to remain active here, and at Altamont Press, right up 'till the end.
I have no news about a Memorial service, but we might include him, his wife Suzi, and his family in our thoughts and prayers.
May his spirit haunt his beloved Oakland Pier.
AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/10/17 20:20
Re: Sad news, KRK passes
Author: daniel3197

NO NOOOOOOOOO Say it aint so.
Kay route Ken was a HUGE LEGEND and Awesome --JOYFUL storyteller.
This is so very very sad.
RIP Ken.
----Daniel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/17 20:20 by daniel3197.

Date: 05/10/17 20:21
Author: hogheaded

Holy cow, Stan! It was obvious from his recent posts that he was not his old self, but this... I don't know what to say.

EO

Date: 05/10/17 20:22
Author: JimBaker

Has any one notified 'Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading Magazine yet ??
Ken was the United States coordinator of the Brotherhood of Live Steamers.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 05/10/17 20:23

You are correct about his joyfulness, I found it highly contageous, even when we were tangling.
AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/10/17 20:23
Author: spnudge

So Sad. He had so much info on the Bay Area. I knew he was in not in the best of health but didn't expect it this quick.

Keep the Pans up and those trolley wheels shinning, Ken. I will see you down the line.

Nudge

Date: 05/10/17 20:24
Author: erielackawanna

This breaks my heart. I had very little personal interaction with him (and all via threads like this), but he was such a great guy and such a plethora of information. RIP Sir.

Date: 05/10/17 20:26
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Oh, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am heartbroken.......

A true legend has passed, and we are all the poorer for his passing.

Ken -- may all your signals be green, and the track ahead be clear.
You are with your beloved grandfather, Vic Shattock, in he wonderful Oakland Mole in the sky.

RIP, Ken........

Date: 05/10/17 20:36
Author: callum_out

That is sad, I had just PM'ed on a Sac Northern question and was a little concerned when he didn't reply, not happy news.

Out

Date: 05/10/17 20:41
Author: mococomike

Sad to hear, Rest in peace Ken.

Date: 05/10/17 20:46

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has any one notified 'Live Steam and Outdoor
> Railroading Magazine yet ??
> Ken was the United States coordinator of the
> Brotherhood of Live Steamers.
Jim, Excellent suggestion, would you mind doing the honors? I've never been to that site. Stan

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/10/17 20:53
Author: daniel3197

He was IBLS Secretary IBLS===International Brotherhood of Live Steamers.

My condolences to all at this very difficult time.
What an AWESOME legend and gift KRK was. I am still rather stunned at this news.
----Daniel

The standard writeup of Ken Shattock while living from the IBLS:
http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Kenneth_Shattock

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/17 20:59 by daniel3197.

Date: 05/10/17 20:55
Author: Jerry_Joseph

Will always be indebted to him for his sharing of so many rail-related items in this space and elsewhere. Given the way his life unfolded, they often were very personal and sometimes pretty sensitive. His loss is a major one for our community. Condolences to his family and to his many friends.

Date: 05/10/17 21:23
Author: danf

So sad to hear this. I too have known him for many years, yet never met him in person. I wish I did now. A big loss for all of us.

Date: 05/10/17 21:27
Author: BoilingMan

Whoa!
I never met Ken in person, but traded both PM's and phone calls with him a few times. He was a pro who answered my questions, maybe more interesting: he asked questions too. He was open to learning still more-
my kinda guy!

God's speed Ken!
SR

Date: 05/10/17 21:42
Author: DynamicBrake

May you RIP Ken. The main line is all yours. Many of us on T.O. will miss your great knowledge about Bay Area operations, including the Oakland Mole. My heartfelt condolences to Ken's family.

Kent in CARmel Valley

Date: 05/10/17 21:54
Author: SantaFeRuss

God bless his soul. Just a week or two ago, he shared that he was going to start a layout at home. He shared photos of his wife and the Santa Fe supplied building that housed the O scale layout he had been a part of for decades. This is a surprise to read in the worst way. My condolences.

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

Date: 05/10/17 22:19
Author: atsf121

Such sad news, he always had so many interesting stories about the places I used to visit, but from way before I was even around. The history and the fun tales he could spin were such a blast to read. He will be missed!

Nathan

Date: 05/10/17 22:36
Author: MartyBernard

I talked with Ken in March and he sent me some of his slide and print collection, which I intend to scan and post. He had been in and out of the hospital most of January and February but seemed to be doing better.

I told him it might be a year before I got to the scanning and he asked that I send him a CD with the scans when I was done. He also said he would help me with captions.

Marty Bernard

Date: 05/10/17 22:38
Author: NGotwalt

I'll miss his photos of both Key Route and his Grandfather's basement. I never really spoke to him directly until about a month ago, I PM'd him. Saw a large scale SP live steamer at auction, was curious if it was one of his grandfather's. I never heard back. I'll miss his stories and photos.

Nick

Posted from iPhone

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds