Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Winter Weather Gloominess on the Moffat

Date: 05/19/17 22:47
Winter Weather Gloominess on the Moffat
Author: 757guy

After a late winter storm dropped 1-3 feet of snow in the mountains west of Denver (and a few inches elsewhere around the area), I headed out to capture some images on the Moffat around Tunnel 1 and Blue Mountain Road. Trains were in good supply this evening, with a late Amtrak 6 coming down from the mountains, and a westbound UP manifest meeting Amtrak at the Eisele siding. Temperatures hovered around the freezing mark, and the heavy, wet snow made for a slick climb around Tunnel 1. I was definitely soaked after many slips into the snow along the way! I brought my dog with me, and he seemed to enjoy the adventure...he is becoming quite the railfan.

1. A westbound UP manifest climbs the grade of Big Ten Curve prior to awaiting Amtrak at Eisele. North Table Mountain looms in the distance.
2. The UP manifest slows to stop at Eisele. Amtrak 6 will pass by shortly.
3. Amtrak 6 approaches Blue Mountain Road on its descent off the Moffat.

Date: 05/19/17 22:49
Re: Winter Weather Gloominess on the Moffat
Author: 757guy

4/5. The UP manifest has left Eisele and is approaching Tunnel 1. After the train passed, it was a slick hike back down to my car, but well worth it!

Thanks for looking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/17 22:58 by 757guy.

Date: 05/19/17 23:06
Author: Ritzville

Really NICE winter snow shots in Spring!

Larry

Date: 05/20/17 14:41
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice bad weather shots in some wet nasty conditions... Thanks for braving the snow to get the shots!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 05/20/17 17:36
Author: tomstp

Just can not get used to new name for the siding.

Date: 05/21/17 01:34
Author: bobwilcox

Nice set of shots in challenging weather.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 05/21/17 05:08
Author: Grande473

The conductor cleared snow from the points at west Eisele so the switch could lock into reverse for Amtrak. Just part of the normal routine. (Heard via radio).

Date: 05/22/17 09:37
Author: es44fan

The hike up to Tunnel 1 is challenging enough without snow involved, but it looks like it was worth it for those shots. Great job!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds