Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > No Traffic at Donner Summit

Date: 05/20/17 18:55
No Traffic at Donner Summit
Author: UP4579pw

There appears to be almost no traffic at Donner Summit this weekend. Does anyone know why?

Date: 05/20/17 20:35
Re: No Traffic at Donner Summit
Author: Doodle

Ebbbs and flows on Donner these days. I'm watching the truckee cam, there's a green light for a westbound. Should be coming through truckee pretty soon(+- 30 min).

Try the railroad radio feed for truckee if you're in the area.

Www.railroadradio.com

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/21/17 09:15
Author: sptno

I monitor ATCS as well as the railroad audio for Truckee area.
Traffic does seem down some from past years.
Unfortunately, the radio site had to be relocated and not nearly as good as it once was as before we could hear activity in the Reno/Sparks area.
Thank you to the person(s) who got the radio site back in operation for all of us to enjoy.

I also monitor the steaming video although the steaming audio is delayed somewhat from what ATCS and the camera show.

It's interesting to watch this, especially this past winter with all of the snow.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 05/21/17 09:55
Author: JDLX

UP is definitely running fewer but substantially longer trains. Roseville to North Platte manifests have grown to monster trains, what would have been run as 3-4 separate trains a few years ago now run as maybe two. Intermodal's doing the same. UP also has some major trackwork on going this year across much of Nevada, creating long work windows.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 05/21/17 11:24
Author: Doodle

Jeff I think you're right. This past year I've noticed most stack trains are in excess of 100 cars, sometimes 130+. And most manifests are routinely 100-120 cars. So two trains can handle what 4 used too. I guess you can do that with modern power
Moving 10,000 tons at 10 mph without stalling.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds