Home Open Account Help 400 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hobart Tower's continuing demise

Date: 05/25/17 09:19
Hobart Tower's continuing demise
Author: lanewsman

Following up on another recent post, here's the Hobart Tower on Wednesday, May 24, 2017. At least one, and probably more persons are sheltering here now.

Date: 05/25/17 11:48
Re: Hobart Tower's continuing demise
Author: alto_towerbob

If you're homeless you can squat in Hobart Tower... As a railfan don't you dare be lingering or stopping along E26th St. to grab a photo though... Delicious.

Bob

Date: 05/25/17 15:04
Author: dbinterlock

I see this poor neglected eyesore up close every day from my UP switch engines, and it looks even worse inside. I can't understand why it would be so difficult to put steel sheets over the doors and windows until determination can be made on its future. It has been an attractive nuisance since it's closure and has been ransacked more times than any of us know. Seal it up, and relieve everyone of this misery. If the goal is to make a case for teardown, the powers that be are doing a good job.

Date: 05/25/17 21:02
Author: AJnCorrie

I imagine its a matter of time before the Union Pacific tear it down...probably sooner than later...

Date: 05/25/17 22:23
Author: EricSP

If they wait long enough, the squatters/trespassers will probably start a fire that will burn it down. I suppose that may reduce demolition costs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/17 22:24 by EricSP.

Date: 05/26/17 06:29
Author: steve_misky

EricSP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they wait long enough, the
> squatters/trespassers will probably start a fire
> that will burn it down. I suppose that may reduce
> demolition costs.

x2, it's too bad that you can let something rot away and become a hazard due to "regulations" vs. tear-down/cleanup your own property.
Probably need to get Kalifornia permission to remove the squatters too - they are "protected" as well.

Date: 05/26/17 06:44
Author: NSTopHat

EricSP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they wait long enough, the
> squatters/trespassers will probably start a fire
> that will burn it down. I suppose that may reduce
> demolition costs.

Put a sign out front announcing a Milo Yiannoplis speaking engagement with a date and that will take care of it....

Date: 05/26/17 11:56
Author: Rick2582

Is anyone salvaging interlocking equipment from this tower ? Any RR historical organizations interested or engaged in any way ? Our little non-profit rail group in Shasta County would certainly be interested.

Rick S
Redding CA

Date: 05/26/17 12:21
Author: Graybeard1942

When the interlocking tower at Stockton went out of service, they didn't hesitate to pull it down.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0778 seconds