Home Open Account Help 155 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP's "Class Unit" ET44AC, UP 2570 (SoCal)

Date: 06/10/17 18:14
UP's "Class Unit" ET44AC, UP 2570 (SoCal)
Author: cchan006

It has been more than year and a half since the GE Tier 4 units (ET44AC) made a debut on the Union Pacific, starting with the "class unit" UP 2570. I've caught the UP 2572 several times, leading, but 2570 as a leader has eluded me... until last month.

I was loitering on the Sunset Route, and found an eastbound to chase, a stacker with an interesting consist of Armor Yellow, Bright Future, Bright Future, and a Thoroughbred (UP 7615, CSXT 9042, CSXT 521, NS 9416). I got it at the Centennial Memorial Bridge, then heard UP 2570 mentioned by Dispatcher 244 which got me interested. It sounded like UP 2570 West was going stop at Indio to pick up a locomotive.

I looked at my watch, and realized that if I plan it right, I could head way east and make this my "last train before going to the airport" chase. So I sort of abandoned the UP 7615, which was long, heavy, and slow-running, and speeded toward Indio, to see if I can chase UP 2570 and whatever train it was leading.

I heard UP 2570 get a signal as I was nearing Palm Springs, so I headed to the Amtrak Depot but there was a film crew shooting. I went further east (Gene Autry Trail) but the overpass was fenced, and I saw headlights in the distance, so I headed back west to Fingal to get my first clip.

Quick pacing and highball the foamer, second clip.

I realized the next curve was going to be well-lit, and UP 2570 enters the sucker's hole just right, third clip. Furthermore, I get a nice surprise, a Tropicana Orange Juice Z making a pass right where I was. I get the entire Z train in this clip. I knew UP 4779 was nearby (radio chatter) but this was luck.

UP 7615 stopped and held near Cabazon, to allow this passing maneuver to take place.

I finish up at Beaumont, and get the UP 2570 taking the S curve there, fourth clip. From there, I headed straight to the airport.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/17 22:23 by cchan006.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/10/17 18:18
Re: UP's "Class Unit" ET44AC, UP 2570 (SoCal)
Author: cchan006

Here's the video of the pool power consist eastbound stacker, led by UP 7615, at the Centennial Memorial Bridge near Beaumont.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/11/17 11:10
Author: DTrainshooter

Love the overtake segment...right place, right time and great light !

Date: 06/12/17 21:58
Author: oyw

Always a pleasure to watch your videos Charles!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds