Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Donner snow

Date: 06/12/17 03:45
Donner snow
Author: Fizzboy7

Never thought I'd be asking this in the middle of June, but hoping someone is up there taking pics of this late snow storm event. As of 3:30 am, I-80 looks to be covered over and it's coming down good at Soda Springs. Been watching the I-80 cams all day and it's been off and on, with a stronger cell moving over now.

Jason

Date: 06/12/17 07:44
Re: Donner snow
Author: czuleget

On the Truckee web cam the trees have a dusting. as of 1 minute ago.

Date: 06/12/17 16:30
Author: DJ-12

Presently at Donner Lake looking across at Andover. Misty and cold but no snow visible. I dont plan on going to the summit until tomorrow (family trip)

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/17 16:31 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 06/12/17 20:27
Author: DJ-12

Update: As the snow has cleared, I can see up from Truckee to the summit. Looks to me like the snow line is probably in the vicinity of Eder. Not a bad afternoon looking up at trains from our lodge on the lake...starting about 1500..Amtrak 6 went east, a short Z train went west, 2 empty grain east and a salad shooter west.

Date: 06/12/17 20:28
Author: weather

Six inches of new snow on the ground at Norden this morning brining the seasonal total to 570"

Date: 06/12/17 21:28
Author: weather

This was shot this afternoon at Soda Springs by Tom Applebaum. If you look carefully you can see the Main line thru the trees. Here it is 9 days from the beginning of summer, and the ground is still covered at 6700 ft. There are drifts up to 4 feet here in the forecast. UP Meteorologist Mike Pechner

Date: 06/12/17 22:43
Author: Fizzboy7

weather Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Six inches of new snow on the ground at Norden
> this morning brining the seasonal total to 570"

Is that a record for June? Not in my decades of monitoring Donner weather have I recalled this...

Date: 06/13/17 11:52
Author: JamesSchlinger

I drove up to Norden Sunday afternoon to meet up with a friend. It was interesting weather to say the least. Leaving the Bay Area Sunday, it was broken clouds and cool for June, but nothing particularly interesting. By the time I got to Rocklin, it felt like I was driving in the Arizona desert. One minute, the sun was out, the next, I was getting heavy rain. I saw one major lightning strike near Rocklin as well. Rained off and on until Blue Canyon, where I briefly got into heavy, heavy snow flurries. But then upon reaching Emigrant Gap, it was a light rain again. I first observed it sticking around Troy. Sunday night saw a decent amount of snowfall, then it stopped, but we woke up Monday morning to even more snow. In some spots, darn near 6 inches was on the ground, but in others, barely an inch at all. A good amount of snow was in the trees all morning, but it was melting fast by early-afternoon and all but gone late afternoon yesterday. Heavy, heavy fog came in the early afternoon as well. When Amtrak 5 was blowing for the crossing at Soda Springs, you couldn't even see its headlights yet. The fog all started to clear in the early evening. I imagine all the snow that did fall is long gone by now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds