Home Open Account Help 203 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Eastbound Z Chase - Donner Pass

Date: 06/19/17 18:13
Eastbound Z Chase - Donner Pass
Author: SCUfoamer

While eating breakfast at Pacific Street Cafe in downtown Roseville, JMF1910 and I watched UP8233 rumble past us. We knew that the Oakland Z could be the only Eastbound for a while, so we scarfed down our breakfast and hit the hill running.

1. We nabbed the train at Applegate, and then set up for a Colfax depot shot. I wanted to make sure that we could intercept the train at Casa Loma for a not so typical shot.

2. As we set up for our shot, UP8233 had a leaning container reported called in from MOW. The train went into emergency as it came into our frame. After an inspection of the train, the crew couldn't find anything. Instead, they found their lead unit not loading. "We can make it 1x1, but mahout at 22mph". Good enough to make it to Sparks for a new loco.

3. After a failed attempt at getting to Cisco in the Jeep due to poor road conditions, we set out for Troy. The road to Troy was easy and we made it trackside with plenty of time to spare.

All of the unexpected delays that the Z encountered provided a great day of chasing on the hill. We ended up waiting at Troy for two more trains close behind.

Date: 06/20/17 10:56
Re: Eastbound Z Chase - Donner Pass
Author: AZSP

Great photos. Any idea what that contraption is on the left in photo 1?

Date: 06/20/17 11:20
Author: kalthoff

Train size appears to have grown from even a few months ago. I know UPS is the base customer. Any clue as to other regular shippers that may be using this service out of Oakland?----

Date: 06/20/17 14:41
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!! I like Pic 3!!

Date: 06/20/17 17:54
Author: gonx

AZSP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos. Any idea what that contraption is
> on the left in photo 1?

A ramp that allows rail equipment to get on/off the flatcar.

Date: 06/20/17 19:03
Author: cchan006

SCUfoamer Wrote:
> 3. After a failed attempt at getting to Cisco in
> the Jeep due to poor road conditions, we set out
> for Troy. The road to Troy was easy and we made it
> trackside with plenty of time to spare.

Your story implies there are more shots you'll post later, besides the Golden Hour at Troy. Can't believe the access to Cisco is too poor for the Jeep! Troy as a consolation prize isn't so bad...

Great telesmash at Colfax, but I love the scenery, shot #3.

Date: 06/23/17 14:25
Author: Matt_Gidley

Very nice - shot #3!

Date: 06/23/17 20:17
Author: MP555

gonx Wrote:
> A ramp that allows rail equipment to get on/off
> the flatcar.

Scorpion car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds