Home Open Account Help 187 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP line El Paso - San Antonio

Date: 06/19/17 22:57
UP line El Paso - San Antonio
Author: howeld

Out west on vacation. We may be traveling from Phoenix to San Antonio, Tx if the tropical storm in the gulf clears out quick enough. How many trains run between El Paso and San Antonio and it is worth getting off the interstate to follow the tracks on Route 90 via Del Rio?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/20/17 05:45
Re: UP line El Paso - San Antonio
Author: RickL

Yes - do 90. Its a great ride and you are by the tracks a good deal of the trip. The Scenery is great but do the speed limit through the towns. We come back from Fort Davis on 90 three or four times a year, the difference in time is small but its just a better ride. There are lots of good spots to hang out and get good pictures.

RickL

Date: 06/20/17 07:20
Author: kalthoff

Yes 90 is the way to go. If your plans call for overnight stops along the way, try staying at the Holland Hotel in Akpine,Tx. The UP (T&NO)is across from the hotel on the main drag (Hwy 90) and/or the Capitan Hotel in Van Horn, Tx. again on the main drag right across from the UP (T&P ) Both hotels are older but in fine condition and clean. I try to get down to Big Bend National Park once or twice a year and stay at one or both on the way down to the Park from the El Paso airport.

Date: 06/20/17 07:42
Author: florida581

The busiest stretch of track is between El Paso and Sierra Blanca with about 24 trains a day. This is where the main splits, one heading towards Dallas / Ft Worth and the other towards San Antonio. Traffic on the ex-T&P line to Dallas sees about 16 trains a day and the ex-SP Sunset Route to San Antonio sees around 8 a day. The Sunset Route does get significantly busier east of Spofford where the line from Eagle Pass joins up. There are about 12 Eagle Pass trains joining the Sunset Route here including 2-3 BNSF trackage rights trains.

Andrew

Date: 06/20/17 08:11
Author: RickL

kalthoff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes 90 is the way to go. If your plans call for
> overnight stops along the way, try staying at the
> Holland Hotel in Akpine,Tx. The UP (T&NO)is across
> from the hotel on the main drag (Hwy 90) and/or
> the Capitan Hotel in Van Horn, Tx. again on the
> main drag right across from the UP (T&P ) Both
> hotels are older but in fine condition and clean.
> I try to get down to Big Bend National Park once
> or twice a year and stay at one or both on the way
> down to the Park from the El Paso airport.

All excellent choices and add The Gage Hotel in Mararthon as well. It is another famous historical hotel that faces the tracks from across the highway.

RickL

Date: 06/20/17 10:39
Author: Dick

The freight train count west of Spofford is 4 to 6 each way in 24 hours. The line from Ferromex at Eagle Pass to Spofford adds 6 or 7 UP trains each way plus 2 or 3 BNSF trains in each direction over 24 hours headed to San Antonio. Just videotaped that line east of Spofford in May.
Dick Eisfeller
Big "E" Productions

Date: 06/20/17 12:10
Author: howeld

Thanks for the information. We are thinking of heading toward Padre Island but will skip it if the storm doesn't clear. Still a couple of days out so there is time.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/20/17 12:38
Author: sptno

I say go for it.

Plan on spending the night in Alpine, grab a bite to eat and then around 9:30-10:00 head out to the Marfa light viewing area, right across from the main line.

Great view area, might see the some shoot stars, the milky way, and the Marfa lights looking south. I have seen them and pretty amazing, sent chills up and down my spine.

Visit the Langtry TXDOT visitors center. Interesting history about Judge Roy Bean and some railroad history as well.

There is a rest stop on US 90 east of Langtry that is elevated and you can see the old railroad right of way south of the rest stop.
If you look towards the east, kid of, you can see the UP (SP) Pecos River high bridge.

I don't think that there is any legal/good way of getting closer to the railroad Pecos high bridge, maybe someone might know. I had a state of Texas vehicle and did not want to go into an area that might get me in trouble.

Then there is a pull off off of US90 that overlooks the Pecos River.

Stop in Del Rio by the lake, relax and watch trains crossing the lake.

Well worth the trip.

I used to work for TXDOT and enjoyed my trips out to that part of the country.

I don't think that the storm will cause any problems for your trip, no rain for Austin, TX.

Have a safe trip.

Pat
South Austin, TX
WA5VRO

Date: 06/20/17 13:39
Author: mundo

You can make a vacation out of this area of the country.
2-3 days around Marfa and Alpine.

Ft Davis State Park - Ft Davis military fort, it goes on and on.

If you do not stop over in the area, at least make a loop drive through Marfa, view the old city and Court House.

If you are a member of AAA, get the Texas Guide book.

Date: 06/20/17 14:05
Author: WrongWayMurphy

90 is definitely the way to go, SW Texas is really hot this time of year so keep water handy.

Cindy won't affect S, Padre, but here in East Texas we are supposed to get drenched.

Date: 06/20/17 19:28
Author: HomerBedloe

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha....or, for this thread....Marfa, Marfa, Marfa!

That is a hilarious mash up, Shane. Of course, only those of us of a certain age will even understand who she is (and it isn't Buffy from Family Affair!).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds