Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > NCCC 6-29-2017 proposed contract, changes

Date: 07/10/17 19:27
NCCC 6-29-2017 proposed contract, changes
Author: inCHI

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here. I am not a railroader but even from the outside some of the things in the new NCCC contract proposal are a bit shocking. The union bargaining group met with the NCCC (representing most of the carriers) in late June, and the NCCC put out this proposal on 6-29. The unions are rejecting it, so I don't think this is being voted on. These screencaps are from a BLE-T summary. There is audacity from the carriers in putting something like this out after federal mediation. It certainly might raise the question of how "neutral" such mediation is.

It is hard to even comprehend that negotiations started in 2015 (right?) For the proposed meager wage increase, I'm trying to understand if the language at the top means that there was a 3% increase for 2015 only, then a 0% increase in 2016, then a 0% in 2017 to the present, meaning the 2% only applies whenever a contract actually happens. Considering it is July, if Jan 1st 2016-present was 0%, seems like soon the 2015 3% very much offset by nearly two years of 0%.

Then I note that they want to double the health care costs. The new costs for copays and other items mirror the POS Obamacare plans I had for years and mirror a health care plan I have from a temp agency (!) that I thankfully haven't had to try using yet. I'm not working in a dangerous industry.

The second shot shows what look like substantial changes to classifications and pay, though I can't claim to understand them much. But, in a simple sense, they are trying to cut away extra pay that came with particular assignments and classifications, right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/17 20:43 by inCHI.

Date: 07/10/17 20:10
Re: NCCC 6-29-2017 proposed contract, changes
Author: callum_out

Don't ya luv it, starts instead of miles, who cares that your district is 327 miles long!!

Out

Date: 07/10/17 20:33
Author: tomstp

The carriers position seems to me to guarantee a strike sooner or later.

Date: 07/10/17 20:36
Author: EtoinShrdlu

> As I understand it, under federal mediation, the union bargaining group met with the NCCC (representing most of the carriers) in late June, and the NCCC put out this proposal on 6-29.

There is no "mediation" yet. It's so many years away it's not even the faintest glimmer on the horizon, and there's very little likelihood it will happen if there is no agreement reached because mediation isn't mandatory in RR labor negotiations.

> It is hard to even comprehend that negotiations started in 2015 (right?)

To put things in perspective: between 1999 and 2010 most of the Amtrak unions went "without a contract" because Atk's VP-Labor Relations was stonewalling the negotiations (eventually we got our raises and 100% of the back pay due; he lost his job).

Date: 07/10/17 20:40

EtoinShrdlu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no "mediation" yet. It's so many years
> away it's not even the faintest glimmer on the
> horizon, and there's very little likelihood it
> will happen if there is no agreement reached
> because mediation isn't mandatory in RR labor
> negotiations.

Thanks for clarifying that.
>
> To put things in perspective: between 1999 and
> 2010 most of the Amtrak unions went "without a
> contract" because Atk's VP-Labor Relations was
> stonewalling the negotiations (eventually we got
> our raises and 100% of the back pay due; he lost
> his job).

I heard about this on here a few times and it is still hard to comprehend. I can't imagine working under that condition... then again I've been a "temp" worker for 4 years now so I guess I have my own kind of strange situation.

Date: 07/10/17 21:40
Author: wharfrat

I think what they are really after is the next round of crew reductions. When Congress mandated them to spend billions of dollars on PTC, I think there was a gentleman's agreement they could operate with a one man crew or less. All listed above is just pushing the hard line to get to crew size.

Date: 07/11/17 07:31
Author: a737flyer

Openers are often jaw-dropping, to say the least. Negotiation is supposed to bring the sides together to forge an agreement...st least that's the intent. Unless you happen to be a member of the Francisco Lorenzo school of bombastic stipulation.

Date: 07/11/17 07:33

But this is far from an opener, right? This is after years of negotiation!

Date: 07/11/17 11:54
Author: EtoinShrdlu

>> As I understand it, under federal mediation, the union bargaining group met with the NCCC (representing most of the carriers) in late June, and the NCCC put out this proposal on 6-29.

> There is no "mediation" yet. It's so many years away it's not even the faintest glimmer on the horizon, and there's very little likelihood it will happen if there is no agreement reached because mediation isn't mandatory in RR labor negotiations.

After posting this, I ran across a BLE description of the current state of negotiations, and apparently there is a mediator. However, it's probably not binding mediation because neither side has ever agreed to that (technically it's called "non-binding arbitration"). There was also mention of the carriers upping their demands, which doesn't sound right because the only things which can be discussed in RR contract negotiations are the items contained in the Section 6 notices, and these were issued in a specified time window before this current round of negotiations commenced, the negotiations started before the last contract expired.

Date: 07/11/17 12:17
Author: jointauthority

So what will seniority be good for? Picking vacations lol?

I hate the railroad.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/12/17 13:20
Author: spwolfmtn

Will we still get those???

jointauthority Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what will seniority be good for? Picking
> vacations lol?
>
> I hate the railroad.
>
> Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds