Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > a tale of two passenger trains...

Date: 07/16/17 11:14
a tale of two passenger trains...
Author: santafe199

in two cities (with apologies to Charles Dickens)

It was a gorgeous day to be out railfanning! In ALL directions the sky was full of giant white fluffy clouds. And it was shaping up to be a possibly difficult day. There would be two interesting passenger trains to try and photograph. Both of these trains would be passing eastbound through Topeka & Lawrence, KS en route to Kansas City and points further east. But they would be running in nearly identical time slots over two very different railroad territories. Amtrak’s SW Chief was (again) running very late, with BNSF power on the point and Uncle Pete’s Engineering Special was returning from its southwestern tour.

The obvious goal was to bag both trains, but for a while trying to decide which train to set up for first it was like a game of cat & mouse. Thankfully I was able to rely on some very helpful & timely info from outside sources. With this latest possible info gleaned from my multiple sources I decide to go after the SW Chief first in both Topeka & Lawrence. Hopefully, after shooting the chief in Lawrence I would be able to dash across the Kansas River and shoot the UP Special. It was gonna be touch & go…

As you can see by the images below I was successful in shooting both trains. But you can also see the peril in shooting in “giant fluffy white cloud” weather. Sometimes they will cover up that glorious sunshine at exactly the wrong times.

1. & 2. BNSF 6336 leads a very tardy Amtrak train #4, the Southwest Chief through Pauline, just south of downtown Topeka, KS. TO member ‘lilwes’ joined me for sequence here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/17 11:22 by santafe199.

Date: 07/16/17 11:16
Re: a tale of two passenger trains...

3. 4. & 5. The SW Chief has departed the depot and is passing over 11th St in Lawrence, KS.

Date: 07/16/17 11:18

Not until the very last “away” shots in my UP sequence did I get full sunshine. Despite the beautiful but persnickety clouds I had a good old-fashioned railfan blast setting out to bag 2 separated trains, and successfully pulling it off

6. 7. & 8. A mere 14 minutes after shooting the SW Chief  downtown, UP 3032 leads Uncle Pete’s ‘Engineering Special’ approaching and crossing Mud Creek at the Alexander Rd crossing east of Lawrence, KS.
(8 photos taken July 15, 2017)

Thanks for the various heads-up tips & as-it-was-happening phone info!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/17 11:21 by santafe199.

Date: 07/16/17 12:30
Author: ntharalson

Nice stuff, Lance. Thanks to you for posting these, and to others
who have posted on the UP train.

I'm wondering what those two projections above the roof are on the "Idaho."
I'm thinking they're some kind of antenna, but am wondering if anyone
knows for sure.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/16/17 12:47
Author: Contax645

You nailed these Lance. Nice work!

Gary R Clark

Date: 07/16/17 13:36
Author: texchief1

Nice shots Lance! Love those new UP Tier 4s.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 07/16/17 14:19
Author: bnsfsd70

Hi Nick,
I believe that those are for the wifi that's onboard the train. You'll notice in this shot that the UP 3032 had them attached to it as well.

- Jeff Carlson

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice stuff, Lance. Thanks to you for posting
> these, and to others
> who have posted on the UP train.
>
> I'm wondering what those two projections above the
> roof are on the "Idaho."
> I'm thinking they're some kind of antenna, but am
> wondering if anyone
> knows for sure.
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Date: 07/16/17 15:14
Author: bmarti7

ntharalson Wrote:
> Nice stuff, Lance. Thanks to you for posting
> these, and to others
> who have posted on the UP train.
>
> I'm wondering what those two projections above the
> roof are on the "Idaho."
> I'm thinking they're some kind of antenna, but am
> wondering if anyone
> knows for sure.
>
Those are to relay live TV from the cab looking forward

Date: 07/16/17 20:23
Author: WP17

santafe199 Wrote:
> …in two cities (with apologies to Charles
> Dickens)
>
>
How appropriate. Yes it was definitely the best of times (UP) and the worst of times (Amtrak).

Never mind
WP17

Date: 07/16/17 21:40

> santafe199 Wrote: > ... with apologies to Charles Dickens...
WP17 Wrote:> How appropriate ... the best of times (UP) and the worst of times (Amtrak) ...

Love the reference! Ya know, for a non-college educated male of the species, a product of the 1970s I consider my self to be fairly well read. But I have to confess to never reading any Charles Dickens. (I guess I was stuck too long in my Agatha Christie phase) But I have made reference to this book title a gazillion times. Quite often with er.. umm... "humor" a wee bit on the ribald side. Translation: Too ribald to post here... :^/

Lance/199

Date: 07/17/17 12:00
Author: route56

I wish I knew you were in town, I was over at the Lawrence depot. ;)

Richie Kennedy
Lawrence, KS
route56.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0798 seconds