Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > How come CN's Leithton Subdivsion isn't double tracked yet?

Date: 07/19/17 07:09
How come CN's Leithton Subdivsion isn't double tracked yet?
Author: railfaneric

Good morning everybody. I am curious on why CN's Leithton Subdivsion isn't double tracked yet. The line sees around 40-50 trains daily. So why isn't it double tracked then? Will CN double track the line in the future?

Date: 07/19/17 08:10
Re: How come CN's Leithton Subdivsion isn't double tracked yet?
Author: Alexmarissa

Where is the Leithton Subdivision?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/19/17 08:14
Author: railfaneric

Alexmarissa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where is the Leithton Subdivision?
The Leithton Subdivsion runs through Joliet,Crest Hill,Plainfield,Aurora,West Chicago,Wayne,Elgin,Hoffman Estates,Barrington,Lake Zurich, and Leithton. It's the EX EJ&E Western Subdivsion. It's the line that had the derailment earlier this month.

Date: 07/19/17 08:17
Author: NSTopHat

EHH probably stripped it out and sold it for scrap steel in order to increase shareholder equity....

Date: 07/19/17 09:38
Author: CN_Hogger

My guess would be cost. The Matteson Sub isn't all 2MT either, rumor had it when they put the 2nd main back in between the Rock and Mokena that it was too costly to continue it the ~4.5 miles to Frankfort.

CN_Hogger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/17 09:41 by CN_Hogger.

Date: 07/19/17 12:51
Author: kbmiflyer

40-50 trains a day sounds a little high just based on my experience rail fanning the area. Maybe I am just unlucky but I would guess it is closer to 20 trains a day.

When CN bought the EJE, there was a huge outcry from the NIMBY's who had become accustom to virtually no trains on the EJE and didn't want all the noise and traffic problems caused by increased use of the rail-line. This was especially true in the wealthier Northwest Suburbs. Any attempt to add a double track would certainly see similar push back.

Date: 07/19/17 13:37
Author: CN_Hogger

40 trains a day between West Chicago and Joliet might be fairly accurate counting BNSF and UP trackage rights trains and when the various U trains are running.

CN_Hogger

Date: 07/19/17 14:57
Author: blueflag

I would say maybe 25-30 trains a day between Eola and Joilet. Peak times you can get lucky and catch 3-4 in one hour, but then you will have nothing for an hour or two, then back to a more normal 1-2 per hour. BNSF and UP traffic probably counts for 6+ trains a day in this section of track with BNSF being the bulk of them (autos, stack, coke).

I saw 9 in 5 hours a few weeks ago, then there was a solid 2-3 hour lull.

Some BNSF and UP trains keep going onto/off the Matteson sub, some CN trains don't go south of Eola and get on/off the BNSF.

I've lived along the Leithton sub for 5 years and it's been pretty typical of this since then (nice being able to read car numbers from the house).

Jeff Eggert
Plainfield IL

Posted from Android

Date: 07/19/17 20:08
Author: calumet

railfaneric Wrote:
> Good morning everybody. I am curious on why CN's
> Leithton Subdivsion isn't double tracked yet. The
> line sees around 40-50 trains daily. So why isn't
> it double tracked then? Will CN double track the
> line in the future?

The operating plan CN published for the EJ&E upgrading never provided for complete, 100% double tracking.

Jeff Eggert's estimate of 25 to 30 trains per day seems about right.

Date: 07/19/17 21:07
Author: illini73

railfaneric Wrote:
> Will CN double track the line in the future?

I think they're pretty much stuck with the plan used in the Environmental Impact Report used by the STB to approve the CN's acquisition of the EJ&E. Asking to build more tracks might cause a re-opening of the proceeding and another round with the outraged residents of Barrington and their lawyers. A general rule of thumb for line capacity is 40 trains per track per day, so they're probably OK for now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds