Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Photo Request: Bridge near Dunsmuir, CA

Date: 07/26/17 21:31
Photo Request: Bridge near Dunsmuir, CA
Author: BoostedFridge

I am in search of any reference photos of the bridge at milepost 327.23 of the UP Black Butte Subdivision for a modelling project. This bridge was SP's 17th crossing of the Sacramento River, and was RR 'east' of the east switch of the siding at Small. I am modelling the bridge in the later SP era, so older photos are fine too.

The bridge is a 141' Deck Plate Girder bridge according to the 1979 SP track chart.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/17 21:34 by BoostedFridge.

Date: 07/26/17 22:46
Re: Photo Request: Bridge near Dunsmuir, CA
Author: TCnR

It is presently a concrete segmented bridge, of course at one time it was steel. You should look through PhotoBob's website but I don't remember off hand photos of that particular bridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/17 22:48 by TCnR.

Date: 07/27/17 01:57

Thank you for the tip! I thought I had checked the site thoroughly, but there are two pics of the bridge on there.

Date: 07/27/17 07:42
Author: photobob

Here's one of the two I have of it on my website. Its one of those bridges that is covered by a lot of foliage. Its basically two girders. I may have another view I'll go through my stuff. Here's another view taken from a blowup of an SP photo taken in the 1950's.It appears to be just a single girder bridge at that time. The river makes a lot of changes.
other view

Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/17 07:56 by photobob.

Date: 07/27/17 08:07
Author: TCnR

That first photo is pretty late in the era, judging by the headlights and the r/n of the second unit.

Makes me question my observation of the bridge being rebuilt.

'Atta-boy' for Bob.

Date: 07/27/17 09:22

Thank you Bob, and TCnR!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/17 15:46
Author: johnsweetser

Of possible interest to steam-era modelers, the second photo appears to show the type of wooden bridge marker right next to the bridge that gave the stream name and the crossing number (if there was one). These signs were 18" wide and about 2 feet to maybe 2 1/2 feet out of the ground. SP common standard plan C.S. 1315, available from the Calif. State RR Museum Library, shows the signs. Ask for the C.S. 1315 plan with the Sept. 17, 1931 revision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/17 15:48 by johnsweetser.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds