Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Would you call me lazy… (finale)

Date: 07/28/17 08:01
Would you call me lazy… (finale)
Author: santafe199

I left off in part 2 with a shot of a BNSF stacker we had just passed by at Henrietta, MO. So let’s open the finale with the same kind of shot at Hardin:

27. & 28. BNSF 3927 sits parked(?) with a very short eastbound stacker just clear of the switch where the NS (ex-N&W, nee Wabash) main combines with the BNSF (ex-Santa Fe) double main at Hardin, MO. This ‘paired’, 2 main track arrangement runs all the way to WB Jct west of Carrollton, MO.

29. At WB Jct we finally part ways with the NS main which maintains its eastward heading toward the crew change terminal of Moberly, MO and beyond. The 2 BNSF mains rise up due NE toward Marceline and beyond.

Date: 07/28/17 08:04
Re: Would you call me lazy… (finale)

30. We roll over the north main around the mostly vacant yard at Marceline, MO. Amazingly, the old coaling tower still stands.

31. Rolling by the old Marceline passenger depot & former AT&SF Missouri Division HQ building, which now houses the Walt Disney Hometown Museum adjacent to Ripley Park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/17 08:09 by santafe199.

Date: 07/28/17 08:06

32. Pulling away from the station stop at La Plata, MO.

33. Rolling past the old Santa Fe depot at Fort Madison, IA with the old CB&Q depot peeking in on the right.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/17 08:17 by santafe199.

Date: 07/28/17 08:08

34 & 35. Crossing the famous RR/Highway bridge spanning the mighty Mississippi River between Fort Madison and…

36. …Niota, IL.

Date: 07/28/17 08:12

The last 3 shots, along with a link a previous thread about my ride back toward home:
( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4318581,4318581#msg-4318581 )

37. 38. & 39. The old CB&Q depot at Princeton, IL where I had to disembark with enough time to catch train #3 back to Topeka. My gracious host & “Tioga Pass” car owner Norman Orfall (right) and a couple of his guests pose for my camera just before Amtrak train #4 resumes its trek toward Chicago.
(13 photos taken June 15, 2017)

Once again my thanks to Mr Norman Orfall (“aronco”) for his very kind invitation to ride in his private cars “Tioga Pass” & “Pacific Sands”. And it was a pleasure meeting his onboard guests, many of whom are members here on TO.com. Railfanning is a such wonderfully diverse hobby! And it truly does have a family camaraderie on nationwide and even global basis…

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/17 08:21 by santafe199.

Date: 07/28/17 08:51
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for your interesting finale on Norm's Tioga Pass. Looked like it was a FUN trip.

Larry

Date: 07/28/17 11:13
Author: MILW86A

Great stuff!!
MILW86A

Date: 07/28/17 11:19
Author: tomstp

Very interesting, particularly the old steam facilities.

Date: 07/28/17 16:01
Author: CSXT_8437

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Does the NS control their main and the BNSF their main to Carrollton, MO?

Thank you again.

Date: 07/28/17 16:12
Author: mg8711

I don't know if you're lazy or not...having that much fun takes a lot of energy.
mg8711

Date: 07/28/17 16:35

CSXT_8437 Wrote: > ... Does the NS control their main ...

I believe the BNSF has all of the train dispatching between CA Jct just east of Camden & WB Jct just west of Carrollton. I believe this is an arrangement that goes back a long ways, into the Santa Fe/Wabash days. I'm not sure how track maintenance and other such responsibilities are divided up. As a general rule you'll see trains from both RRs running on any track at any time. One exception I've noticed: the dispatchers usually tend to keep Amtrak #3 & #4 on the BNSF side of things to take keep off of the slower track & turnout situations on the NS side...

Lance/199

Date: 07/28/17 21:16
Author: SantaFe

It's dispatched by the Bnsf Marceline DS (DS-2) in Ft. Worth.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/28/17 22:35
Author: JimBaker

Shades of John Barriger !!
The sequential views out the back of the train are classic!
Thanks !!.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 07/29/17 09:10

I got an interesting PM from my friend "bmarti" that I thought should be shared publicly. Here is his reply to one of my captions:

santafe199 Wrote > 31. Rolling by the old Marceline passenger depot & former AT&SF Missouri Division HQ building, which now houses the Walt Disney Hometown Museum adjacent to Ripley Park...
bmarti7 Wrote: > ... I once parked the motor home overnight in that vacant lot just to the west of the Marceline depot with the windshield pointed east to see the signal bridge. Didn't get much sleep that night ...

In the past I've done the kinds-sorta same thing a few times. I remember a 1980 railfan vacation where I took an old bunk mattress and slept in the back of my trusty '79 Datsun 210 (w/ hatchback). One night I parked a few hundred yards south of the old Santa Fe/Amtrak passenger depot in Purcell, OK. Like Bill above, I didn't get much sleep that night. Anybody else have similar stories to tell??? 

Rip Van Winkle (not!  ;^)

Date: 07/29/17 15:10
Author: wag216

Daisy may want a different viewpoint when it come Lance's energy level! wag216

Date: 07/29/17 19:40

wag216 Wrote: > ...  Daisy may want a different viewpoint ...

Oh... I dunno. She's now in her late 40s in dog years, catching up (back??) with me real fast...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0782 seconds