Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A quieter Rochelle (IL)

Date: 08/09/17 19:28
A quieter Rochelle (IL)
Author: illini73

Recent comments from TO members visiting Rochelle, IL have remarked how much quieter it is at the railroad park since the diamonds were replaced and quiet (no horn) zones implemented. There's even been some speculation that flange-bearing frogs were used in the new diamonds. The first photo disproves that particular point. The second photo shows the center curbs that were installed to permit the quiet zones (this is on the street leading to the RR park). The third photo shows the old diamonds, picked up as one piece and moved to the north side of the UP tracks a couple of blocks east of their former location, perhaps as a backup set in case of derailment damage to the new ones. The three photos were taken July 8, 2017 between 3:30 and 4:00 p.m.

Date: 08/09/17 19:31
Re: A quieter Rochelle (IL)

Of course, it wouldn't be a visit to Rochelle without a train coming along; this eastbound UP freight showed up at 3:48 p.m. during inspection of the new diamonds.

Date: 08/10/17 07:04
Author: railfaneric

When did Rochelle become a Quiet Zone? I find it funny how UP's Geneva Sub in Dekalb and Cortland are also quiet zones. I guess North Central IL is getting quiet zones on UP's Geneva Sub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/17 07:04 by railfaneric.

Date: 08/10/17 07:43
Author: HotWater

railfaneric Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When did Rochelle become a Quiet Zone? I find it
> funny how UP's Geneva Sub in Dekalb and Cortland
> are also quiet zones. I guess North Central IL is
> getting quiet zones on UP's Geneva Sub.

Having lived in a "quiet zone" along the Burlington main line in the western suburbs of Chicago (since 1971), we can really appreciate the lack of horn blowing. Besides, the stupid idiots drive around the lowered gates anyway, so what's the point of blowing the horns?

Date: 08/10/17 18:30

railfaneric Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When did Rochelle become a Quiet Zone?

The QZ ordinance took effect October 1, 2016.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0287 seconds