Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Under the Rainbow on the Moffat Line

Date: 09/13/17 14:27
Under the Rainbow on the Moffat Line
Author: Diamond_D

I was out in the mountains of CO Sunday afternoon with my daughter, and I saw both Zephyrs were due into Granby around 5:30 so I headed toward Kremmling. We caught #6 at Azure, then raced him back to Kremmling where I had to spring down the side of Hwy 9 to the bridge to get this mediocre going away shot into the rainbow. Best shot still to come, see below...

Date: 09/13/17 14:28
Re: Under the Rainbow on the Moffat Line
Author: Diamond_D

I decided to head east and try to follow the rainbow in hopes of getting a nice shot of #5 leaving town, and I think it worked out pretty well! The friendly crew also gave a great wave to my daughter who was beside herself with happiness - such a little act by the crews can go such a long way, and I'm always appreciative when they take a few seconds to make a little girl's day.

In other not-pictured happenings, I heard on the radio #5 had to do a reverse move before leaving the station at Granby, so I'm guessing they were in the siding but couldn't get out forward because of a work train tied up there? There was a also UP MOW train with caboose at Kremmling, I figured on a Sunday afternoon it was just tied down for the weekend, but right after #6 passed they got on the radio and got a signal to head west up to Crater to drop ties.

After departing Granby eastbound, #6 met an empty UP coal at Tabernash, and that coal empty continued on behind #5. We watched them go by at Sulphur, didn't take pics, but did catch this little beauty in the Colorado River!

Date: 09/13/17 14:32
Author: EastKSRailfan

You did well in all area, trains, scenery, and trout!

Carl Graves, Lawrence, KS

Date: 09/13/17 14:55
Author: photobob

Nice catch of Amtrak and the Rainbow and also a nice catch from the river. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Date: 09/13/17 15:12
Author: Notch8

Awesome catch in all the pictures. How are the fall colors coming along looks like they are progressing.

Date: 09/13/17 15:20
Author: cozephyr

Wonderful outing with your daughter with bonus rainbow! Glad you're getting time up there in the Colorado Rockies along the Moffat Tunnel line.

Date: 09/13/17 15:27
Author: rrpreservation

Great train photos!!!

Date: 09/13/17 16:26
Author: WAF

Golden week is upon us

Date: 09/13/17 19:29
Author: jmbreitigan

Great photography.

Date: 09/13/17 19:53
Author: highgreengraphics

Exceedingly nice rainbow shot! === === = === JLH

Date: 09/14/17 08:24
Author: OregonOldGuy

Yum, dinner!!!! Best catch of the day.

On the going away shot at Kremmling, the only thing I might have done differently would have been to use a vertical framing instead of horizontal. But even that can be corrected with the right cropping tools.

Kudos! Great that your helper was along. She is your lucky charm!! Take her often.

Rob

Date: 09/14/17 14:30
Author: BruceStikkers

You would think the Amtrak marketing folks could make very good use of the rainbow shot. That is something that is extremely difficult to get. Great shot.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds