Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Skunked and Wagged

Date: 09/23/17 17:58
Skunked and Wagged
Author: skyview

Headed down to the Boise City Sub, near Las Animas, CO, on Thr, with perfectly clear skies across the area. During my drive from Pueblo to La Junta, from Noon to 1pm, not a train to be seen, and while sitting trackside from 1pm to 645pm (sunset give or take a few minutes), not a train was to be seen... though of course a train did at long last arrive around 710pm, just a bit too long after sunset to get a shot. The shot of the nearly empty yard at La Junta at the end of my day is reflective of my experience of the day. More sobering is just how empty this once active yard now is.

The next morning (Fri 9-22) I awoke to mostly cloudy skies (so much for the clear sky forecast) but decided to drive to Delhi to watch Amtrak pass the wigwam. Must admit, always neat to see this old magnetic flagman still at work! Although I did see FrontRangeTrains posting of 9-5-2017, and image at this spot, I didnt really note is angle nor try to duplicate (mainly remembered, yes, need to visit that again soon)... and spent 15-20 minutes trying my darndest just how to frame the soon to be arriving train... amazing how close I came up with the identical framing solution as John did a few weeks ago... though John had the great blue skies I was lacking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/17 18:08 by skyview.

Date: 09/23/17 17:59
Re: Skunked and Wagged
Author: skyview

Closer image showing the "magnetic flagman" markings, and also wigging and wagging.

Date: 09/23/17 18:17
Author: 3rdswitch

Like the yard view although sad to see.
JB

Date: 09/23/17 18:38
Author: Larry020

Thanks for the wonderful photographs.  I had thought that the wigwags in Point Richmond were the last of their kind on the Santa Fe before they were deactivated a couple of years ago.

ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 09/23/17 19:30
Author: TomPlatten

I am really amazed that this wig-wag has not been "liberated" by some nefarious individual especially considering how isolated it is!

Date: 09/24/17 05:07
Author: KansasRailHead

I drove from Dodge City to Pueblo and back in July never seen one train rolling. In September I drove Dodge City to La Junta and back not one train moving. But I did see About 3 coal trains and 1 auto rack tied down. All EB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds