Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Stacks in Redondo Beach CA

Date: 10/11/17 19:38
Stacks in Redondo Beach CA
Author: erielackawanna

Back on September 26 I was poking around Torrance when I saw a northbound headlight coming into the jungle. I raced to a parking lot alongside Alcoa Yard where I've gotten pics before, and to my surprise, someone had cut a hole in the fence. Pushing half my body through I was able to get a decent (if standard) 3/4 wedgie.

Having shot the train, I headed up to the grade crossing at 182nd St in Redondo Beach to wait on the First Watson. To my surprise, the stacker came all the way up there. I was able to get a couple shots of the train going over the very suburban houses in Redondo Beach.

To be honest, I didn't realize stacks ever came this far north anymore.

Date: 10/11/17 19:39
Re: Stacks in Redondo Beach CA
Author: erielackawanna

I tried to get back to the crossing to wait for the First Watson when the conversation on the radio told me that they had already crossed and were just waiting for the stacks to clear.

Here are two images of the First Watson, also going through the Redondo Beach neighborhood.

Date: 10/11/17 21:33
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

They were probably stashing them there because they didn't have anywhere else to put them.

One time I was flying into LAX and when we were going over Hobart Yard I saw loaded double-stack cars on what looked like some LAJ industrial track winding behind buildings. I figured they were encountering a capacity crunch.

Date: 10/11/17 22:46
Author: railwaybaron

Your photos are making a purse from a sow's ear. Good work.

Date: 10/11/17 23:56
Author: CimaScrambler

Nice work, Charles. I have not seen a stack train north of Hawthorne Blvd in a long time.
That Redondo Beach neighborhood was a fun place to shoot stacks before the Alameda Corridor opened. I liked the view down Fisk Court the best.

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 10/12/17 08:05
Author: czuleget

Two to three times a year they will pull up past Artesia Blvd then back down into Alcoa siding. Not sure why they needed to back in the train. last this was done was this past summer in the late evening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/17 15:50 by czuleget.

Date: 10/12/17 17:05
Author: Lairport

Glad to see a shot of Redondo, I moved out in 1997. Used to be an abandoned PE under crossing in that area, later filled in by SF..

Date: 10/12/17 21:54
Author: casco17

Thanks for the pics -agreed - haven't seen stacks up that far in many years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds