Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Imagination

Date: 10/16/17 19:16
Imagination
Author: twjurgens

Sometimes, you have to use your imagination.....

My friend from Plattsmouth called shortly before 11 this morning to say that there was a southbound UP passenger special leaving Omaha around noon. Thinking that would put him through Union, NE between 12:30 and 1, I headed east on 34 with my furry friend, Charly.

Got to Union in plenty of time to do a little scouting for a location and went north about 5 or so miles checking all the crossings along the way. I really liked Union as a location so headed back there. Got back there in time to see a northbound manifest powered by UP 3940 and 7673. That meant at least another 45 minutes or so for the special to get to Union since there would have to be a meet somewhere. My friend was waiting at Plattsmouth and would warn me in plenty of time to be ready for the special.

Union is a junction where a line that once went west as far as Lincoln connects with the north-south main line. At Weeping Water, there was junction with a line that once went north to Omaha and now terminates at Louisville. A local out of Union works that line 2 or 3 times a week. Do you see a potential problem here? I didn't until it was too late!

I'd pretty much picked a photo location so Charly and I waited...and waited....and waited. About two, I heard a couple of toots from a horn. But the horn didn't sound like what I'd expected as power for the special and the sound was too far west. Worst fears were realized when the headlight of the branch local came around the curve from the west. Then, I heard the horn for the special north of Union.

AAAARRRGHHH! The branch track parallels the main at this point leaving the main clear so maybe the local will get by me before the special arrives. Unfortunately, the local had to stop to throw a switch to get into the small yard at Union.

So, imagine that the views 2, 3, and 4 are on the second track to the left with UP 3037 and 5515 bound for St. Louis with 8 or 9 shiny yellow passenger cars in tow instead of UP 1416 and 644 bringing in the branch local. Having trouble with that? Me too!!

(more to come, including #4)

Date: 10/16/17 19:17
Re: Imagination

Charly, who usually doesn't have much to say, quickly reminded me that the very definite positive side of this is that I'd been wanting shots of this local for quite some time and now, we've got 'em!

Date: 10/16/17 19:20
Author: bnsfsd70

Blarrrrrrrrrrgh!

We've all been there. Ugh.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 10/16/17 19:52
Author: mg8711

Ouch! :-(
mg8711

Date: 10/16/17 20:16
Author: hartrick24

Is your dog laughing at you for missing the train?

Steve H...

Date: 10/16/17 20:20

hartrick24 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is your dog laughing at you for missing the
> train?
>
>
> Steve H...

The shot of Charly was actually taken on a different trip but today, when I got back to the car, he did seem to be smirking a bit!

Date: 10/16/17 21:26
Author: SCKP187

Pretty bitter. Oh well, it is good to see the local power.
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/16/17 22:33
Author: TexBob

Losing situational awareness has cost me a few times, but never quite this dearly...

Robert Pierce
Sugar Land, TX
SWRails.com

Date: 10/16/17 23:42
Author: vegasrails

I have to agree with BNSF we have all been there, nice series, oh I agree I do believe your 4 legged friend is smirking at you.

Date: 10/18/17 13:13
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Awwww.... Charly is a dear! I think he is just
sad because you were sad. SO sorry that happened.

Date: 10/19/17 06:23
Author: santafe199

Mercy sakes, how shinola doth happen in this hobby. The six of us original Kansas Gangsters from the 80s collectively coined many railfan oriented phrases. We came up with all sorts of patented, home-grown adages & aphorisms. They were sometimes classy, sometimes cutesy and sometimes downright to-the-point. But I think we had a phrase to describe just about any railfan situation we encountered, including the singular frustration you just suffered. I know it's no particular consolation, but here's one of our railfan phrases which neatly covers this ultimate disaster:

"The railfan gods giveth. And the railfan gods taketh away."

The railfan gods were evidently in a greedy mood this day...

Willie W

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds