Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ex-CNW power

Date: 10/16/17 19:56
ex-CNW power
Author: CBRL

Saw a couple ex-CNW locomotives lately - very unusual to see them around Eugene.

First is C44AC UP 6706, ex-CNW 8804, in DPU service on a southbound manifest.

Next is repainted Dash-9 UP 9828 (ex-CNW 8724) third in consist heading south on the main at Judkins.

Nice to see at least one of them still in service after 23 years.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/17 20:26 by CBRL.

Date: 10/16/17 20:02
Re: ex-CNW Dash 9s
Author: arizonaBNSF

Hate to nitpick, but the first one is actually an AC44CW. Either way, cool catches. C&NW power is always fun to see.

Date: 10/16/17 20:25

Argh! Got that one mixed up with one I saw several weeks back. The C44AC units are still getting a lot of use. Where were the Dash-9 motors used in the system after UP acquired them? The Cascades wouldn't be an optimal place for them.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 10/16/17 20:43
Author: FiestaFoamer

So for the first couple of years after the merger, the CNW Dash-9s were (insofar as they had a role) top-line Z train power, mixed with SD60Ms and the like. They were ideal for that role: nearly new, DC traction, and equipped with the cab signals necessary to lead into Chicago on trains to and from the west coast. I still remember camping with my dad at Deschutes State Park in the Gorge a few months after the merger, and seeing a solid set of three of them, sparkling in the morning sun, racing east with a pig train. Just a perfect paint scheme.

Date: 10/17/17 08:42

Thanks for the information. I have seen a couple of shots of clean CNW power on the Cascade line from right after the merger but have not seen many lately. That is a beautiful paint scheme for sure - even years after the fact.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds