Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Builder Power

Date: 01/15/18 13:27
Builder Power
Author: bbethmann

Watching the Builder scrimmage here in Spokane very early in the morning for the past several years (at least on those restless nights when “counting trains” beats sheep), wonder if someone out there can give clarity to what determines whether or not the eastbound #8 leaves town with two or three locomotives. Two engines seems the norm however recently the new norm seems to be three. Then there are those mornings at a more civil hour when I notice a lone engine sitting at the station (perhaps as protection) not knowing whether or not the earlier departing #8 had two or three engines.

Just a bit of a puzzle to me.

BB in Spokane

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/18 13:52
Re: Builder Power
Author: sums007

It may be that the Chargers are allowing this. I've noticed it too, but only recently.

Date: 01/15/18 15:02
Author: SteveC

It has been my understanding that two is the normal power for what is expected "normal" weather, but the third locomotive is added during winter months. In years past, three has been the norm for winter trains.

Steve

Date: 01/15/18 15:17
Author: kbehling

I think it is related to low or minus temperatures in Montana and North Dakota.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/15/18 15:37
Author: MM171

Correct if wrong, but I believe BNSF requires Amtrak to have 3 locomotives on the Builder during the winter months. A few days back there were 4 power units on the Chicago bound #8 although one was thought to be dead but never confirmed.

Date: 01/15/18 16:17
Author: inCHI

I just posted a video of 7 departing Chicago today, with three engines, and saw 8 arriving, also with three engines.

Date: 01/15/18 19:50
Author: czephyr17

Yes, BNSF requires them to have three units during winter, at least when extreme cold is expected. This has been the case for several years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0285 seconds