Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question on Towing Commuter Locomotives

Date: 02/11/18 13:58
Question on Towing Commuter Locomotives
Author: FiestaFoamer

I figured I'd put this in a separate thread rather than derailing one of the other live threads about the SEPTA /MARC move on UP right now.

I guess I'm a little surprised that UP would call a separate train to move these locomotives, rather than tacking them on to the head end of some slow-moving drag freight. I know I've seen 1 or 2 Chargers moved within a bigger manifest in the past. Why would they do it this way? Is it more dangerous to move four of these than moving one would be? Is it a matter of them having a speed restriction? Is it that they are interchanging in St. Louis, and it's awkward to have to switch them between several trains to get there?

Thanks, just curious.

Date: 02/11/18 14:26
Re: Question on Towing Commuter Locomotives
Author: bogieman

I believe it is for a couple of reasons. Passenger locomotives typically do not have alignment control draft gears so there is a risk of jack-knifing if they are at the front of heavy train. The other is that they now usually have air released-spring applied parking brakes. These have to be set up in train just right or they won't be released resulting in flat wheels. That was an ongoing problem when the LIRR DE/DM30AC's were moved the relatively short distance from Schenectady to Long Island.

Dave

Date: 02/11/18 16:59
Author: EtoinShrdlu

> I guess I'm a little surprised that UP would call a separate train to move these locomotives, rather than tacking them on to the head end of some slow-moving drag freight.

Seeing as how UP's careful car handling of freight trains is so refined and exquisite in this day and age, putting them on the rear isn't an option either. Ever seen a 567 V-12 engine and attached main generator knocked loose from the locomotive frame because all the hold down bolts and dowel pins have been sheared off? I have.

Date: 02/12/18 05:31
Author: Topfuel

It's highly likely that the customer is paying for these special moves. UP is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. While special train charges are quite high, moving locomotives in regular freight train service isn't cheap either. Once you have 4 or 5 locomotives moving at one time, there isn't probably going to be a huge difference in shipping costs per unit. And they should get to the destination in better shape with no damage.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds