Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Talgo set rounding the Topeka Sub. curve at Holliday, KS

Date: 02/13/18 18:25
Talgo set rounding the Topeka Sub. curve at Holliday, KS
Author: JoCoLB

My afternoon railfan experience on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018, was watching (for the first time) a Talgo train set being towed by Amtrak power toward Kansas City. It reportedly was headed to Wisconsin after undergoing some testing at the national railroad test center near Pueblo, Colo.

I was able to watch the special train leave the BNSF Railway's Topeka Sub. at Holliday, KS, a short distance west of Kansas City. The train had stopped for a short time earlier just west of the connection because of some freight train traffic ahead.

Here is a short video clip as the train moved past my location at 3:08 p.m. Four other railfans showed up at the same location to view the unusual move in Kansas. I believe quite a few railroad enthusiasts also made catches of the articulated passenger train equipment elsewhere as it crossed Kansas in daylight.

(Video by Larry Byers)

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/13/18 18:31
Re: Talgo set rounding the Topeka Sub. curve at Holliday, KS

Here's a still photo of the train after it had entered one of the transcon tracks at Holliday. (Photo by Larry Byers)

Date: 02/13/18 18:33
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Nice capture of a very rare move! Glad ya got to see it.

Saw it today on both the Lawrence, KS, railfan webcam (on teh daytime) and teh La Plata, MNO, webcam just s short time ago.

Date: 02/13/18 19:07
Author: upkpfan

Larry,
I believe it came by me around 10 pm last night in the dark. About the only time it would have been light was after it left Salina and that was supposed to have been around 4:39 am, so it wouldn't have been in the light till on the East  end someplace. upkpfan

Date: 02/13/18 19:35

Was that a different set you're discussing. Was it on the KP line?

This special train move followed the route of Amtrak's Southwest Chief both going west to Pueblo and coming back east to Kansas City today, Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018.

Date: 02/13/18 20:17

I'm curious. Anyone know how many Talgo train sets are presently being used in the United States?

Date: 02/13/18 20:24

To upkpfan: I learned through a fellow railfan that what you missed on the KP at Ellsworth on Monday night was the delivery of two engine units for SEPTA and two other locomotives for MARC. Yes, it's too bad that move through your town didn't happen in broad daylight.

Date: 02/13/18 22:02
Author: spdaylight

That cab car is one ugly unit . . . but thanks for capturing this rare move. . .

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 02/15/18 13:30
Author: kinnearyard

Ugly is right. That thing is so ugly they should only run it after dark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds