Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > End of the Week around Western Wisconsin

Date: 02/17/18 03:57
End of the Week around Western Wisconsin
Author: rrartist

Here now folks is the end of another week in the La Crosse WI area starting Thursday with CP 689, CSXT 93 charging towards Bangor (WI). BNSF 9303 leads the Z PTLCHC towards Chicago as the clouds slowly took over. It was near fifty degrees Thursday afternoon. On to Friday, sunny and 10 above, but hey it was sunny! BNSF 7011 brings CP 470 into La Crosse, he probably has a DPU, right?

Date: 02/17/18 04:06
Re: End of the Week around Western Wisconsin

I received a tip that CP 484 was running with an NS standard cab GE leading, so I meandered over to Dresbach MN for the NS 8856 and company and again back towards La Crosse for another image. CP 470 was done with their work and announced it was ready to make a run for the "Hill". The hill is the grade east towards Tunnel City, the grade starts at Grand Crossing with the first climb being at West Salem and the second at Raymore which is the steepest part. I headed for Bangor to watch and listen to the BNSF 7011 (C4) lug 92 cars into the Bangor Siding to let Amtrak pass and then follow #8 towards Tunnel City. That was the plan....

Date: 02/17/18 04:15

Amtrak's Empire Builder was wasting little time has the train flew past just east of Bangor. While CP 470 attempting to "make the Hill", UP 7738 slow rolled through Bangor as the the CP DS chewed his nails with CP 470. Well long story short, CP 470 stalled in the Bore at Tunnel City, 92 cars + 1 C4, really... Luckily there was a CP 471 waiting in Sparta which cut off from their train and pushed CP 470 through the tunnel and returned to their train, a process that took almost two hours. The coal train crew enjoyed the break just east of Rockland (WI) before they were allowed to head east.

Date: 02/17/18 04:19

I noticed on ATCS there were two eastbound trains coming out of Winona towards La Crosse and with the sun shining brightly I ended up back in Dresbach MN for CP H-20, CP 3017-3023 and lastly the UP LTA-42 and the UP 2100. Thanks for riding along!

Date: 02/17/18 05:14
Author: KimHeusel

Wow, great shots. Looks like there was a lot of activity for you to shoot.

Kim Heusel

Date: 02/17/18 05:34
Author: oklachaser

Really great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 02/17/18 06:19
Author: Railfan2

Great catches as always!

Date: 02/17/18 06:32
Author: King_Coal

Nice day out. Really like the NS standard cabs - seems like NS power is popular on this line. Plus the UP SD60 standard cabs always look like greyhounds ready to race. Thanks for posting.

Date: 02/17/18 09:42
Author: Ritzville

You had great day trackside with lots of action and variety! Well Done!!

Larry

Date: 02/17/18 13:37
Author: ns1000

Great stuff..!! Thanks for posting.

Date: 02/17/18 14:11
Author: MP90

Seems the snow disappears as fast as it arrives.

Date: 02/17/18 18:35
Author: SCKP187

Nice shots every one of them---sure like all the standard cabs you get to shoot.
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/18/18 21:43
Author: BNSF-6432

Awesome locations and pics. Not to mention the variety!

PQM

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0659 seconds