Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ISO Tanks

Date: 02/21/18 17:14
ISO Tanks
Author: mearsksealand

Having viewed ocean container stack train thru Flagstaff which had many 20ft ISO tanks on board what commodities do these containers move—I am guessing these are return empties but maybe loaded with product for export

Any info would be appreciated

Dale Smith

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/18 17:15 by mearsksealand.

Date: 02/21/18 17:19
Re: ISO Tanks
Author: up833

We see these around the Port of Tacoma and when they are loaded (with placard) they seem to have specialty chemicals being imported.

Date: 02/21/18 18:56
Author: SteveC

We used to get insecticide from overseas in these isotainers. I would think a lot of the specialty chemicals are coming in these. Often chemicals that produce toxic byproducts when produced and cause environmental issues are often made overseas where the regulations are nil at best.

Steve

Date: 02/21/18 19:42
Author: Lackawanna484

The isotainers should be placarded.

Sometimes, you may see them used to move ethane from raw natural gas cracking facilities. "Dry" natural gas contains relatively small amounts of ethane, hexane, etc and may not justify pelleting on site.

Date: 02/22/18 06:55
Author: Auburnrail

And for a “happier” commodity, I have also seen them at large winery bottling plants with bulk wine,
usually from Chile, imported as table wine to be filled into the “square bottles “. (Boxes with spigots).
George Andrassy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/18 06:57 by Auburnrail.

Date: 02/22/18 10:20
Author: trainjunkie

I've seen everything in them from whisky to jet fuel.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds