Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > And the heavens parted...

Date: 02/21/18 18:05
And the heavens parted...
Author: z-trains

I had the opportunity to go out to the desert to chase a set of brand new Tier IV GE units on the point of a ZWSPSBD on November 6, 2015. Delivery of the first order of these units was tailing off and it would be one of the last opportunities to get these together as a set. This quartet had originally run out of Alliance, TX to Willow Springs on an ALTWSP but fortunately the good folks in Chicago decided to keep them together for their run west. I left Riverside with clear skies and arrived at Klinefelter just west of Needles, CA only to watch the monsoon clouds build up all around. Unfortunately, the railfan gods frowned on me that day and as I saw the train rounding the curves at Java, a popup cloud started building next to the sun only to obscure it as the train arrived. So it was back in the truck and time to race it to somewhere west where there would be a sucker hole. In the meantime, Mother Nature had her own ideas about how the trip would go. Upon arriving at Essex to hopefully get a lit shot, it became apparent that it would rain and rain hard all along Rte. 66. So I decided against my better judgement to make a dash toward Amboy to try to beat the rain. It was probably one of the more harrowing experiences I have had railfanning since I could see the rain pouring down on to the mountains above the Mother Road and started to see a wave of water racing toward me. It didn't help that several bridges between Essex and Danby were washed out, meaning I would have to drive through several washes to get to Amboy. Fortunately, I made it across the gauntlet and arrived at Amboy to see that the sun was sinking and as it approached the horizon, offered a spectacular but short window of illumination just east of Bagdad. Off in the distance I could see the train cresting Bolo Hill after being told to go slowly due to flash flood warnings. So I set up close to Amboy crater and tried to adjust my shot so that my shadow didn't appear in the image. While I only got one shot of this train, I feel it was worth the effort although I am sure my wife would not have approved. For video of this and other new power trains, please visit my son's YouTube channel, RailfanJunction.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Paul

Date: 02/21/18 18:25
Re: And the heavens parted...
Author: UP951West

A truly remarkable image ! It belongs on a BNSF calendar. WOW !

Date: 02/21/18 19:57
Author: daniel3197

WOW a masterpiece and quite the story indeed .
---Daniel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/18 20:52 by daniel3197.

Date: 02/21/18 20:01
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Holy CATS! THAT is a truly spectacular image, and I agree 0 it does belong on a BNSF calendar!

And your story is almost as good as the photo! Yes, a truly harrowing experience,from what you wrote. And I am sure your wife would not have approved of where you had to drive!

The railfan gods did smile on you, after all, but you sure had to drive a long, long way. That one shit was more than worth it. (SO glad your truck did not get stuck in one of those washes.)

Date: 02/22/18 04:44
Author: oklachaser

Awesome shot.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 02/22/18 10:45
Author: march_hare

Great shot. I'm imagining Charlton Hesston's voice coming from the heavens, giving you an important message.

Date: 02/22/18 16:31
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds