Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Progress on Progress 3

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/21/18 19:32
The Progress on Progress 3
Author: BoilingMan

The way this is going to work is the two bridges will be replaced separately.  Today they set up the retaining wall between the two tracks that will allow them to work on one side, while keeping the opposite track in service.
SR

Photo 1.  They started pounding in the first steel panel, but hit a buried concrete something they didn't know was there.  They decided to move over a foot or so and try again, but needed to clear the way for The Zephyr and a WB Z train.
Photo 2.  Back to work, setting the panel in it's new spot.
Photo 3.  POUNDING!  It "vibrates" the panel into the ground.  It's noisy as hell and the windows in our house all vibrate with it- the cat doesn't mind too much, but the dog hates it! 

Photo 4.  They had dodged the concrete what-ever-it-was and it went all the way down in about 10min.
Photo 5.  Over to grab the next panel.
Photo 6.  The panel is raised with a hook, set upright in the forks of the forklift, the Poundy Thing is attached, and then the forklift backs away.

Photo 7.   They struggled attaching the Poundy Thing and ran out the clock.  Number 6 was by Cape Horn (about 20min out) so they swing the panel clear and, while waiting, the top of the 1st panel was torched off for clearance.
Photo 8.   Number 6 goes by, and I decided I had enough photos to explain the process- besides...  it was cold!   They're calling for snow tomorrow.

Date: 02/21/18 19:34
Re: The Progress on Progress 3

Date: 02/21/18 19:35

Date: 02/21/18 20:04
Author: fbe

Which state are we talking about?

By bridge are you talking about that culvert along side the roadway?

Which railroad is making this investment?

Date: 02/21/18 20:26
Author: FiveChime

Great photos, did you have to travel far to get them?

This is the Main Street Crossing in eastern Dutch Flat, California along the UP (former SP Donner Pass line)

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 02/21/18 20:34

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which state are we talking about?
>
> By bridge are you talking about that culvert along
> side the roadway?
>
> Which railroad is making this investment?

What Jim said...
SR

But I suspect you’d be happier finding a thread you like.

Date: 02/21/18 20:47
Author: fbe

Perhaps I am not the only reader who had questions about information you failed to post. Now I have what i was looking for I guess there is no need to follow the thread if it makes you uncomfortable.

Date: 02/21/18 21:33
Author: doge_of_pocopson

fbe Wrote:
> Perhaps I am not the only reader who had questions
> about information you failed to post. Now I have
> what i was looking for I guess there is no need to
> follow the thread if it makes you uncomfortable.

Yikes

Date: 02/21/18 22:49
Author: DelMonteX

fbe Wrote:
> Perhaps I am not the only reader who had questions
> about information you failed to post. Now I have
> what i was looking for I guess there is no need to
> follow the thread if it makes you uncomfortable.

Nope, I was wondering the same. Seems a shame someone has to get pushed out of shape, just because obvious questions are asked.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 02/22/18 00:00
Author: coach

I'm curious as to what the current structure is made of:  creosoted timbers, or plain redwood, or something else?

Is UP doing this due to discovered structural failure, or is it a system upgrade / "prevent a bridge fire" reason?

Those old water trenches that were built 160 years ago to serve the hydraulic mining interests are fascinating history up there.  Now they server PG&E, or water districts.  It's fun to go exploring up there and follow them around, see the old places.

UPDATE:  never mind my question.  I just read your 2nd post.  The bridges aren't failing, just a system upgrade.  I love the old bridges and stonework up there, so it's a bit sad to see such history lost, but life goes on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/18 00:02 by coach.

Date: 02/22/18 00:12

I had assumed the construction is creosote, but I guess maybe the 1926 side could be redwood- dunno. We’ll see what they dig up.
SR

And yes, it’s just an upgrade for the sake of, well, upgrading. I’m guessing the water agency dictated the concrete box structure, but it’s only a guess. The crew didn’t know.

Date: 02/22/18 07:07
Author: SCKP187

Interesting again today---that's quite a pile driver they have for the steel plate.
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/22/18 09:43
Author: callum_out

SR, glad you're describing what they're doing because it doesn't look like any bridge replacement I've ever seen. But years past
in SoCal I watched them build a bridge over flat ground and subsequnetly dig a channel underneath it so I suppose there's a prototype
for everything. As for the rest of this, it's a local issue, it's primarily of interest to Cali locals, the rest of country can sit
by and watch or change the channel. Not to be impolite but I don't think we posters have the responsibility to post a back story on
every post we submit. Sorry.

Out

Date: 02/22/18 10:06
Author: Auburnrail

In defense of SR, every one of his frequent posts have been well written with a wry sense of humor
which seems often lacking on a lot of folks’ posting replies here.
Never met the man, but from his past posts on TO Iknow he lives in Dutch Flat close to the UP Donner mainline.
SR has shown to be a great RR historian. His ”Necrophoamin’” series of long gone and past RR’s all over the West was an academic work with a sense of humor.
Personally I look forward to his posts and feel better educated...as far as the RR goes...as a result of them.
And no, a backstory in front of every posting should not be required.

George Andrassy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/18 10:08 by Auburnrail.

Date: 02/22/18 10:06

I've been posting a series of stories about the RR and the ditches here on Donner for the last month or two, and then to my surprise, they started this replacement project- how timely!   It's a kind of an esoteric subject, and  kind of a small MoW project- I don't expect a huge following on this series.  I assume most will see photos of back hoes & forklifts, roll their eyes, and move on.  But if you've followed along, pretty much everything (ad nauseam!) is there info-wise).  There''s a fine line between info and nattering.
SR

Date: 02/22/18 10:12
Author: Auburnrail

Again, keep ‘em coming. (See my previous post.)
George Andrassy

Date: 02/22/18 10:16
Author: Gonut1

Boiling Man
Keep up the good work. I enjoy your posts, even this ditch bridge thing. Every bit as interesting as that wiggly trestle they replaced in Tacoma. I'm thousands of miles away and most likely will never set foot in California or Washington State but its interesting.
Gonut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/18 12:22 by Gonut1.

Date: 02/22/18 10:33
Author: sp3204

I find this an interesting project. Is it small, yes, but it does affect the movement of trains and
has a bit of railroad history and history of the area. I find your writing style "fun" to read and
the information parted always interesting. As the one poster said, he probably never will get within
a thousand miles of this project, but found it worth reading!

Craig
PS...this has nothing to do with us having dinner together last Saturday night!

Date: 02/22/18 11:33
Author: ToadHaul

"Poundy Thing" = vibratory pile hammer. They are great for just what you see here.

Date: 02/22/18 11:59
Author: callum_out

That ditch is just like the ones over in El Dorado County which in a really hot year evaporate a large
percentage of the water they carry. When I lived up there they'd dry them up some years just because of
that.

Out

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0746 seconds