Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > the promise of spring

Date: 02/22/18 08:29
the promise of spring
Author: santafe199

One thing about railfan photography: It sure does teach us to be acutely aware of scientific things such as the excruciatingly small incremental changes in available sunlight during the 24 hour day. And the little things that accompany the long & slow approach of a new season. Below is a routine shot of opportunity I took while on the way from point A to point B. As a retired train service engineer I see a signal which by rule definition instructs me: “Clear, proceed”. As a railfan photographer I see a green signal light which reminds me the world will be green in just a few short weeks. Clear-proceed, indeed!

1. UP 7727 rolls east with a stacker near Newman, KS on a blustery cold February 15, 2018. The trees are barren, and I’m wearing a winter coat. But what will the situation be and what will this scene look like on March 15…

Looking for buds on those trees!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 02/22/18 10:43
Re: the promise of spring
Author: march_hare

And as a railfan, I'm thinking "green signal on the other track? Maybe I should turn around because there's another one coming the other way?" Depending on the signal system in use, that may or may not be correct, I suppose.

It hit 74 here in upstate NY yesterday, and almost all the snow is gone except for the big drifts. One or two blades of green grass out there, but it's starting to snow again.

Date: 02/22/18 10:56
Author: santafe199

march_hare Wrote: > ...  I should turn around because there's another one coming the other way ...

Where did I say I didn't look the other way?

Date: 02/22/18 18:06
Author: bmarti7

Nice Lance!
BB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds